Urban Foraging

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wasn't too sure where to put this, so I decided here was good enough.

Went to the community garden yesterday to turn over the new plot (we have two now, no 80 and no 62), and I looked over at the large compost pile we have there and noticed a large pile of greenery. I took a break from digging (it really didn't take that long, the ground was soft and lovely) and wandered over to the pile to check it out. What did I see?

Several PERFECTLY FINE plants (yes, plants) that somebody had uprooted and thrown on the pile. White, red and pink silverbeet (chard). Perfectly fine. Just thrown away.

:barnie

I scavenged the best looking parts. Then as I was scrounging through the pile, I noticed uprooted pepper plants. HORRORS! There were perfectly good peppers on those plants! Green, orange, red, I picked all the ones that were still sound.

There was nothing else on the pile that was good, so I remembered that the communal grapefruit tree had fruit on it a while ago, so I wandered over to check it out. I came back with four large yellow grapefruits.

Then as I was cruising the garden checking out what others were growing, I noticed in the "rubbish" heap the council keeps, MOAR silverbeet. I scavenged that too. I also thinned the radish seedlings in no 80, and picked more parsley.

I think I did well. :D

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Wasn't too sure where to put this, so I decided here was good enough.

Went to the community garden yesterday to turn over the new plot (we have two now, no 80 and no 62), and I looked over at the large compost pile we have there and noticed a large pile of greenery. I took a break from digging (it really didn't take that long, the ground was soft and lovely) and wandered over to the pile to check it out. What did I see?

Several PERFECTLY FINE plants (yes, plants) that somebody had uprooted and thrown on the pile. White, red and pink silverbeet (chard). Perfectly fine. Just thrown away.

:barnie

I scavenged the best looking parts. Then as I was scrounging through the pile, I noticed uprooted pepper plants. HORRORS! There were perfectly good peppers on those plants! Green, orange, red, I picked all the ones that were still sound.

There was nothing else on the pile that was good, so I remembered that the communal grapefruit tree had fruit on it a while ago, so I wandered over to check it out. I came back with four large yellow grapefruits.

Then as I was cruising the garden checking out what others were growing, I noticed in the "rubbish" heap the council keeps, MOAR silverbeet. I scavenged that too. I also thinned the radish seedlings in no 80, and picked more parsley.

I think I did well. :D
If it was a community garden, why were those thrown away? I don't understand? Didn't someone ask if anyone else wanted those, before they were thrown away? Couldn't they have been put to the side for others to take, if wanted?

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
country freedom said:
If it was a community garden, why were those thrown away? I don't understand? Didn't someone ask if anyone else wanted those, before they were thrown away? Couldn't they have been put to the side for others to take, if wanted?
My point exactly. So much waste, when somebody else would have happily taken them.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm in a community garden too and have planted other peoples garden thinnings right into my bed. Glad you got some free goodies.

urban dirt

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i have to laugh....just because nothing around here would have peppers (or anything) on it yet.

maybe you could write a note suggesting plant sharing?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
urban dirt said:
i have to laugh....just because nothing around here would have peppers (or anything) on it yet.

maybe you could write a note suggesting plant sharing?
yeah, really. we haven't even had our last frost, but Australia is the land down under. A npot would be a good idea.