USA Gas Map

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
SSDreamin said:
hqueen13 said:
Sunny, it doesn't matter if you can or can't afford a hybrid, when you do the math most people BARELY break even on the cost. There just isn't much of a return in terms of $$ when you look at the cost of the vehicle and gas savings versus the cost of a "regular" vehicle and gas expenses. So really, the only reason to buy one is to get warm fuzzy feelings for the environment. Cause there sure aren't going to be any warm fuzzies on the bottom line!
YMM(will!)V

This is of course not to mention the issue of dealing with the massive battery which there are currently very few places that will accept them and regulations to deal with them (sorta like those pesky CFL's and all that mercury!!) :rolleyes:
I just saw a report that said the electric production for hybrids is producing more carbon than if they'd just stuck to driving a gas vehicle - not so warm, not so fuzzy for the environment, after all :/
I wish you would post this alleged report so we can all come to our own conclusions. Was it a post on a blog or something?
Nope, FOX News, so does that automatically make it wrong :hide :D

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
I just saw a report that said the electric production for hybrids is producing more carbon than if they'd just stuck to driving a gas vehicle
It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that.

I sort of have the same feeling about electric cars... Where do you think the electric to power your car comes from anyway?!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know around here a lot of people complain because you can't pump your own gas. They insist it would be cheaper. But, if I need to go to PA, I fill up B4 I leave! It's cheaper in Jersey, then it is over the bridge.

I got to thinking the other day about the electric cars, especially in the summertime. I don't know that we've ever had a brown out here-I'm not normally home during the afternoon. But I had to wonder, if areas where having problems meeting power demands, and you had an electric car, would you maybe find yourself unable to charge it back up?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
k15n1 said:
SSDreamin said:
I just saw a report that said the electric production for hybrids is producing more carbon than if they'd just stuck to driving a gas vehicle - not so warm, not so fuzzy for the environment, after all :/
I wish you would post this alleged report so we can all come to our own conclusions. Was it a post on a blog or something?
Found this. It may be a bit biased; it is, after all, a site called EV (electric vehicle) World.

http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=27394

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it has my county in iowa marked as yellow when it should be dark orange-yellow. i know i had to get gas today.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
k15n1 said:
SSDreamin said:
No, but not citing your sources makes me automatically suspicious. And news isn't a primary citation, usually. Did they cite a specific study? I seriously doubt that a cable news show has the time or money to conduct studies about the environmental impact of hybrid cars. The topic of product lifecycle is interesting, though.

BTW, many people, especiallyare ultimately not as interested in saving the environment as they are interested in looking good. In one episode of Freakonomics [1], they discussed this in detail. They also reported that there are many sets of solar panels installed on the side of the roof where they are seen by the neighbors, rather than the side that gets the best exposure to the sun.

1. http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/04/21/conspicuous-conservation-and-the-prius-effect/