USDA announces it is dropping NAIS

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
U.S.D.A. Plans to Drop Program to Trace Livestock

Although it could be a short lived victory.

"In abandoning the program, called the National Animal Identification System, officials said they would start over in trying to devise a livestock tracing program that could win widespread support from the industry."

Bold text is mine

Edited because I forgot the link. Silly me.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A relief, even if only temporary.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Looks like they have every intention of overlooking the input from the small guy and listening to the industry lobbyists. They only way around that is to deluge them with letters and emails, getting press in many local papers, etc.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
It does say they plan to start over with another plan that will be more favorable. I don't think its dropped at all. I think it will just come back with a different name.

Note:I did not read the whole article. I did read a similar article this morning though.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Exactly. They will wait for the uproar to die down and then start all over again. These morons wont be happy until all of us and our animals are strangled with red tape.

dennis60

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well i am glad to hear this news. We "try" to sell American Guinea Hogs. No not guinea pigs :) We have really taken a low profile since the "swine flu" and the NAIS program. Recently we had a real excited buyer in Arkansas, and tried for weeks to work the deal out. The university vet here finally said he would put cattle tags in the little 6 month old hogs and then the university would become the "site ID" for the sale. But then he said that the Arkansas authorties might place the hogs in quarintine because they might think it strange to have the cattle tags. Jeez! We told the buyer and we both agreed it was WAY too much hassle to make the deal. I really hope they can make it easier to sell these adorable hogs across state lines, but i am not holding my breath.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The officials said that it would be left to the states to devise many aspects of a new system, including requirements for identifying livestock.

New federal rules will be developed but the officials said they would apply only to animals being moved in interstate commerce, such as cattle raised in one state being transported to a slaughterhouse in another state.

It could take two years or more to create new federal rules, the officials said, and it was not clear how far the government would go to restrict the movement of livestock between states if the animals did not meet basic traceability standards.
Oh, yay. My state official trespassed to count my animals the day after I declined to "voluntarily" participate in the program. Trespassed on my neighbor's land, and my neighbor ran him off when he came home and found him in the backyard. My information showed up on a website that I cannot change.

This will seriously impact the horse show industry. It is hard to get to the Nationals with a couple of huge rigs, painted with the farm name and loaded to the gills, without anyone noticing as you cross 8-10 state lines! That should keep mad cow, swine flu, and avian flu under control! :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My state official trespassed to count my animals the day after I declined to "voluntarily" participate in the program. Trespassed on my neighbor's land, and my neighbor ran him off when he came home and found him in the backyard. My information showed up on a website that I cannot change.
:somad

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got a farm survey the other day in the mail...not a random mailing for mail recipient, but MY name on the survey. How in the world do they find us and find out that my little place has livestock? Track our feed purchases?

It's not over,it will be renamed, revamped and pushed through on the sly.....just wait and see. They are not done with this. :/