USE IT UP Challenge--being frugal

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are so right Curly
the USE it up challenge applies to food also! Produce is something I used to waste. Not anymore. I always check and if it is on its way south, I eat it then and there...for the next meal.

Anything we waste, anything is money out the door. Time to use it all up and stop throwing our money away.....

HA HA HA on giving your sisters the stuff that makes you itch!!!!!
But if it is good for them, it is a nice little thing to receive.

I also vow not to buy small packaged stuff again if I can help it truly......I hate small packaging. It just means more landfill stuff.

I used to email or send away for tons of free stuff. I don't anymore. I loved doing that----but then I realized for every laundry detergent sample, every cereal sample, every fruit bar sample I requested, meant tons of packaging that I am contributing to the landfills and resources....so I stopped. Just another little thing I am doing to play a part in using up less resources that I don't truly need. A little goes a long way I hope!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been trying to use up my cleaning products. I also told my DH not to by me any more. He came home with a gallon of Windex a few months ago. Not that he ever washes windows. But I already had one. So I said please no more.

It's just like the spare pantry. I can shop in my own cupboards. There is a ton of stuff in there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL
me too on the windex

I have 1/2 a bottle FOREVER cause I just use vinegar and water to clean glass stuff and windows now.....well---I should use up the windex and then just use my natural stuff.

No use wasting it. and no use over spending money on cleaning products that seem to last forever..lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really want to start using more natural products as well. But I feel very guilty not using up what I have. I think the last couple times my dishwasher broke and I had to clear out the cupboard for the fix it guy. I just sent the box down to the garage. then bought new... Ugg.

by the way, I think everyone in Ca is on line right now , My DSL is soooooooo slow, very frustrating.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I noticed my DSL which should be fast, is so slow at times....peak people time..LOL

yes I am the same. I am using my store bought stuff up. It is money already spent. I really thought most was gone then I cleaned the cabinet and UGH...there it was. So yes I feel guilty using it too...one cause I want away from chemicals and second cause I do not want to throw money out the window either..LOL

so the use it up challenge is good. use it up, either never buy more or change to natural products and stuff.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love this Karen, great ideas for everyone!

Well I did really well last summer switching to all natural fertilizers for the garden so I guess the next step is to switch to all natural cleaning products....then MAYBE soaps & shampoos, although I will admit my exprience with natural shampoos has not been pleasant.
Anyone have a natural idea to replace stainless steel cleaner?

Keljonma, question for you....
1 spray bottle eucalyptus oil/water
1 spray bottle white vinegar/water
1 spray bottle tea tree oil/water
1 large jug white vinegar
4 16 oz bottles hydrogen peroxide
1 container homemade oxy-clean

What are you using all of these for, how do you make homemade oxyclean and you also had lavender oil and a couple of others in your list...what are they for?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am wondering what this one is for?

I know tea tree oil is good for something? I just can't remember what...LOL-LOL

the rest I know...Thanks

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I am wondering what this one is for?

I know tea tree oil is good for something? I just can't remember what...LOL-LOL

the rest I know...Thanks
All I know about it is it supposedly helps to prevent lice....I learned that last year when lice went thru my little ones classroom. Did I mention that she has hair down to her butt? Um yeah, she spent a month with her hair up in a bun! I was not about to have lice come home to live at my house!!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good thread Farmer Chick! My kids are definitely learning to USE IT UP. It's one of my pet peeves. I think a say about a hundred times a week "DON"T OPEN A NEW ONE UNTIL THE OLD ONE IS GONE"

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Tea tree oil is also good for acne and dandruff.