USE IT UP Challenge--being frugal

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we chatted about dish detergent before in another thread. I couldn't come up with a good one....I think mostly it was some soap with water diluting it in a spray bottle or something.

I need to google that again. I searched and came up with "eeehht" before and couldn't get a good recipe for it.

what I do now is buy Palmolive at my discount store. It is 1.75 for the monster bottle...yup, bought them all..........then I buy that cheap $1 stuff for the biggest bottle and mix them. 1/4 Palmolive to more than 1/2 cheap then add some water.........so basically I am stretching it as far as it can go and still give me good cleaning.

I like my dish detergent now..HA HA HA

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love Windex too. I have been making my own. Love it as much as the store stuff. We use it as a general purpose cleaner here. It is so cheap to make, that I have replaced other cleaners with it. I clean the table, counters, windows...whatever!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
annmarie said:
I'm about to run out of dishwashing detergent (for hand washing, not automatic). Is there a homemade alternative that anyone is aware of?
Mix together equal parts Borax and Baking Soda.

Use 2 T per load. May need to add additional Tablespoon for hard water.

I have seen recipes that just use the Borax alone, same usage levels.

My sil uses 1/4 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle of her dishwasher instead of an additional rinse agent like Jet Dry.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy big bottle of dawn at sam's club, pour some in pump bottle to keep by sink. I wash my hands with it a lot(I also have a pump of softsoap) and use one pump per dishload. It gives me plenty of suds and cleaning power. I also use it for my bath, I use about ten pumps, I have a deep tub(like a jaccuzi tub), 1 big bottle lasts me at least a couple of years, maybe more.

Monica

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I kind of did this when we moved into the new house, I got rid of a few things from the old house & as I unpacked in the new it was do we really want, need or use this? If the answer was no back into a box it went with the words yard sale written on it & out to the feed shed, I still have a few more boxes we are still filling in the house. And if I keep losing weight then I will have a bunch of clothes to put in there too!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And if I keep losing weight then I will have a bunch of clothes to put in there too!

***You go girl. A few lbs off makes us all feel wonderful! COOL

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Been there. Need to go there again :lol:. It is so much easier to keep it up when someone notices or when you get a little encouragement. So keep up the good work.