usedteabag - or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the Journal

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi there! Let me introduce myself:

Name: Amelia
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada, in a lovely little community bursting with hippie-ness and excellent intentions
Marital Status: Been with my partner, David, for three years now, and living together for about 2.5 years.
Kids? Someday! But none now. Right now, my kids are named Schmichael and Mushroom, two indoor/outdoor cats. The former is a fierce hunter whom, during spring, summer, and autumn, brings me all sorts of presents, be they mice, rats, chipmunks, or birds--and then eats them whole. Saves me the clean-up, anyway. The latter is an 8-month old lazy bum who lounges in every warm spot in the house where the sun leaks in, but isn't proving to be much of a hunter. Then again, the voracity of Schmichael makes up for Mushroom's lack thereof.
For money: I work at a winery in the on-season. I do a multitude of things, from waitressing to leading tours and tastings. In the off-season, I have several little "pinch-hitter" jobs: at a coffeehouse, a small health food shop, baking bread and selling to friends who want it, and any special events held by the winery. My partner works year round as an English teacher.
Why here? Two years ago, we made the commitment to only buy local produce and meats. When you don't live a place that can produce food year round (e.g., someplace warmer than Nova Scotia), naturally self sufficient living comes hand in hand. So we have been learning to garden, to can, to freeze, to dehydrate, to plan meals and make our own cleaners and other household products, etc.

I am 100% happy with the lifestyle I have. But I am constantly on the prowl for cheaper ways to live the way I live, or more efficient ways. The amount of information on SS living online and in books or through friends is just astounding, but it's hard to keep track of it all! I never know if I'm accomplishing a particular task the best way I could, or if there's something out there that I'm missing.

I'm pretty young (24) and I like that I'm starting on this kind of lifestyle now. I'm hoping to have chickens eventually, possibly goats, certainly more space to grow more food and learn more ways of being organized and storing my food. I'm also interested in wine making, beer making, cheese making, pretty much everything! Aaahhhh!.... You can see why I need a space like this to accommodate all the various ideas I have floating in my head.

Anyway, I'm quite excited to start, and as I've been stalking this site without being a member for a while, I know what great conversations lurk about here. I can't wait to hear what you all have to say. And who knows? Maybe I know a thing or two.

Cheers,
Amelia

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
:welcome from the California high desert! Glad you've joined us. Your town sounds like a great little community! I love hippi-ness! :frow

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hippie/English teacher....cool. Sounds like Dharma & Greg ;) I love that silly show :D :welcome from Tennessee!!!!!!!!!! Glad ya joined in the fray. There's a cake party going on in Cheerio's Journal if ya want a slice :) Drag up a stump and make yourself at home!

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, for the welcomes! Let me try and reply to every single one...

California! I used to live there for a time, outside of L.A. Beautiful. I love that state!

Mississippi! I have a couple friends from there. I would love to visit someday.

.... And yes, fair enough: stalking is just as creepy as lurking. :)

Dharma & Greg... that's actually not the first time we've been compared like that. And thanks for the heads up about Cheerio's journal. :)

Cheers!

Latest posts