'useful dog' moment

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
So I'm sitting here at the computer. The bed is right behind me. All four cats are asleep on the bed. One is snoring.

Suddenly, commotion. Dog trying to wedge himself under the bed. Excited dog noises. Etcetera.

You know what he did? He caught a vole. In the house. Under the bed with four cats who did not wake up thru the whole episode.

Russell, the mighty hunter!!

I gave him half a bowl of kibble as a reward (like I do when the cats catch things) while I took it across the road to get rid of. It was actually still alive and not-very-harmed, courtesy of Russell's soft mouth (he's a lab). I guess sometimes different instincts work at cross-purposes LOL

I keep a tally of how many rodents of what kinds each cat kills every year. Now there is a fifth line on the note, for Russell. (Of course the stupidest part is that the cats probably brought the vole IN here in the first place and then just "lost" it)

Now he's snurfling around the bed again, waiting for another vole to materialize, like it's a vending machine or something :p

Pat

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:thumbsup

That's what I like to hear! My dog is famous for catching and eating frogs, mice, moles, rats...pretty much anything she can get her mouth on. That is, if the cat doesn't get it first - then they have a war over who can stake claim...

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
(Of course the stupidest part is that the cats probably brought the vole IN here in the first place and then just "lost" it)

Now he's snurfling around the bed again, waiting for another vole to materialize, like it's a vending machine or something :p

Pat
:lol: :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
(Of course the stupidest part is that the cats probably brought the vole IN here in the first place and then just "lost" it)
My cats do that all the time :barnie. Of the 5 of them 3 are good hunters, and catch all sorts of things, and bring them in to show us :rolleyes:. But then, as likely as not, they will let them go, and watch as they run around the room. Yesterday it was a baby snake. (It did not, of course, *run around the room* :D; it slithered a bit before I could tip a drinking glass over it)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, im lucky then, my female cat will only bring me items shes beheaded...
i dont know what she does with the heads...i envision some mother ship hidden n a bush almost like the predator ship with its skull trophy room...

but she only ever brings them to me headless...

kind of takes the risk of live things running round my house out of the equation LOL.

the dogs like to bring me chipmonks and squirrels...always unharmed and very angry...its like yeah thanks and what happens when i get bitten by an angry squirrel!?

they just look a tme and wag their tails!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
My cats do that all the time :barnie. Of the 5 of them 3 are good hunters, and catch all sorts of things, and bring them in to show us :rolleyes:. But then, as likely as not, they will let them go, and watch as they run around the room. Yesterday it was a baby snake. (It did not, of course, *run around the room* :D; it slithered a bit before I could tip a drinking glass over it)
My cat Smokey does this too... at 3 am a couple of weeks ago he was flopping around the bed (he sleeps under the covers and lays across my knees... so I went to sit up and push him off the bed, and felt something WAY too small to be a cat run up the front of my t-shirt... then I'm screaming, the cat is jumping on me, Shawn is flying out of bed on the other side with the assumption I'm being murdered by an intruder...

It was a MOUSE... running up my shirt in the dark, at 3am... :ep

I think if Smokey wants to show off his mouse hunting ability, he needs to first perfect his mouse KILLING ability...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We always were left with mouse forequarters.

Before my daughter moved out and took the cat with her, Jack would catch a mouse and eat the hams off of it then leave the front half of the body (usually with guts streaming out) :sick in the middle of the floor or right in the middle of the hall. Always where you could easily find them with your bare feet in the middle of the night. :sick :barnie

S

sunsaver

pinkfox said:
lol, im lucky then, my female cat will only bring me items shes beheaded...
i dont know what she does with the heads...i envision some mother ship hidden n a bush almost like the predator ship with its skull trophy room...

but she only ever brings them to me headless...

kind of takes the risk of live things running round my house out of the equation LOL.

the dogs like to bring me chipmonks and squirrels...always unharmed and very angry...its like yeah thanks and what happens when i get bitten by an angry squirrel!?

they just look a tme and wag their tails!
:lol::yuckyuck

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
LOL- I love the image of a Lab sitting in front of a rodent vending machine :gig I can totally picture my late lamented Labs doing that!

The JRTs, though, would give any cat a run for its money in the small rodent hunting department (as well as killing it very efficiently and swallowing it whole- ick.)