Uses for those nasty little ends of hand soaps............

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I once bought a "kit" for turning those soap bits into liquid handsoap. It consisted of a pump dispenser and about five beads. You put your soap scraps and the beads in the dispenser, added warm water, mix and use. The beads just help the soap bits disolve easier. We keep it at our outside faucet for handy cleanups. My SO installed a wire under the utility table we have there, so we can hang an old towel on it. We use it all the time. Great for cleaning those muddy hands before coming into the house or better yet instead of coming into the house.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I think I got so irritated chasing the last sliver around in the sink I threw it away. I know. Shame on me. :(
LOL Same here. I have to be in a very patient mood to bother with the little bits of soap (or stuck in the shower without any other alternative).

I like the idea of making liquid hand soap out of them.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I save the slivers all winter and most of the spring to hang in my vineyard to deter deer. I twist tie them here and there on the wires and by the grape clusters. It has made a difference. The soaps last much longer than you'd think outside.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put them in a mesh bag and hang them on my fruit trees to keep the deer away. It has worked for 2 years now. ( I save them all winter and put them out in the spring.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Take a pair of panty hose that have runs in them, or use a new pair.., cut them up and with elastics or sew up one end, add your little bars till you have as many as you want in it and then sew up/elastic the other end and use it up that way in the shower. I learned that one a long time ago when I worked at the race track - money was tight so every thing we could save we did.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use one of those fine mesh bags that garlic comes in. It works so great that I can hardly wait for more soap chips! I used to plaster, but it doesn't always stick and I was tired of bits in the drains. I keep the garlic bag under my bathroom sink where it holds the soap chips until there are enough to bother with.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to put them in the 'scrubbie'bags also, great for very dirty hands. I also used to put them in pump jars for liquid soap. Now we plaster it onto the next bar-so no chips here either!
Monica

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Great idea, thanks for posting.

This reminds me of one of the first infomercials / gadgets I ever saw on TV. It was a block of metal that had a bit round hole in the middle. The device was in two pieces with bolts. Supposedly you were to take the ends of soaps, put them in this thing, bolt it together and put it in the oven and it melted the bits of soap into one big mass?

Not sure if it would work, but the image stays with me to this day.