Using Livestock panels for Toddlers' play yard

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, you heard me correct. As redneck as it sounds i have a 16 month old son who is ALL OVER THE PLACE right now and i cant take my eye off of him for 2 seconds.... literally... problem is, i work outside alot from now until fall in my garden, flower bed, etc. and Im not sure how the heck im going to keep him from getting away on me when im outside weeding, etc. Last year my garden pretty much went to pot cuz he was only 7 months old and needed alot of attention then too, and i didnt get much time outside. This year i HAVE to be able to work outside for a good amount of time everyday. Hubby doesnt get home until later at night and and often has other things to do to than watch the kids while im pulling weeds in the garden. Ive looked at "superyards" online and they are not only flimsy plastic, but they want $80-100 for the flimsy plastic ones and the wooden ones are $200 and are SMALL. so then you have to buy the extension panels at $40/each to make it bigger. Forget that. I cant spend $300 on something. But.... i need a place to put him where he is safe and can have room to play. He HATES the playpen... i dont blame him, its too small and he feels confined. He just screams the whole time when i put him in there.
So i came up with the idea of using cattle/hog panels and putting 2 or 3 together to make a playyard. They come in 16' lengths, so i could cut them to size with a bolt cutters, or make a REALLY large playyard. They are super sturdy, last forever, and I think the Hog panels would be great since the width decreases as it gets to the bottom of the panel so i wouldnt have to worry about him sticking his head thru or anything. (i of course would have to make sure its 100% safe-where he couldnt get stuck) the cattle panels have 6"openings, i think thats too big. The downsize is that the openings are probably perfect for stepping on and trying to climb out. But i think with that much room and freedom he would try it this year at least...(and hopefully by NEXT summer-2013-he would be a little more managable by then.) We live in town and im SURE my neighbors would just about die, but i think its a pretty good idea. Im just a little concerned that there might be some residues that he shouldnt be getting in his mouth on the panels themselves(he sucks on everything) but i could wash them up real good too before i use them. I think it would cost me under $100 if i got 3 or 4 hog panels. And it would be portable too... i could just move it from my garden to the other side of the house to my flower beds.

Does this sound crazy???

Any better ideas that wont bankrupt me??

We live on a busy corner and i need to be able to keep my little guy safe. He LOVES being outside, but is definetly not old enough to not have 100% of my attention when he's out there. Just looking for a solution.... redneck or not :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd be concerned for the reasons you stated. Plus, if one of the ends comes unwelded, it could stick him. What about getting some of the garden fencing and making a couple of small play areas for him? I don't think the rolls cost that much, and would be, IMO, much safer.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
and thats how you start off

you know your a redneck when..........................

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
leashing the kiddo is cheaper.

if you want super cheap buy one of those harness and a long rope. that way you don't have to build anything

key is to keep the kiddo within eyesight. no need for a cage, a rope will do. :)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
a roll of duct tape: 6.00

duct taping a kid still: priceless

ok im done with the fun

FarmerChick said:
leashing the kiddo is cheaper.

if you want super cheap buy one of those harness and a long rope. that way you don't have to build anything

key is to keep the kiddo within eyesight. no need for a cage, a rope will do. :)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the rope thing would work but make sure you put it around his waist ;)

just make sure there is nothing he can climb on around what ever you tie the rope tooo

gosh that sounds awful

arent panels somewhat heavy? if they fall over on him if he is sitting down wont it cause injury to his head

this works best with blackout blinds..... if it were me i would send him to bed an hour later or maybe 2 to see if that makes him sleep longer in the morning then if that works start before he wakes up in the morning and do as much as possible

then when he wakes fix him some breakfast and take it outside and let him eat it in the yard and you do yardwork that will allow you to look in his direction the entire time. then you can fix him something super messy like pancakes that will take a little time to eat it all. then just spray him down and then stick him in a kiddie pool..that should give you and hour with some of his toys in it.

once your kid sees you digging in the dirt guess what he will want to do DIG IN THE DIRT. the night before get a prety big storage container fill it with dirt and hide your kids toys in the dirt that will save you atleast 30 min to an hour

then its nap time..theres more time for you

when he wakes up just repeat the breakfast steps.

you will have to work around him and NO KID wants to be tethered down OUTSIDE

pretty much my advice is too find things to keep him busy..you can even "LET HIM THINK" he is doing the same thing your doing.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
duct tape is very useful :lol:

no really I wasn't joking. if the area is kinda wide open, no hazards to impede a rope situation (obviously look for any type of safety situation) then a harness on the body and rope attached would work. it is all about keep the kid from running into the street and out of your eyesight. people do use those harnesses when walking kids down a very busy road in the cities all the time. seems insane but truly safety is an issue.

kids disappear in an instant. you don't even know it. one second they are there, you look down to plant a bean seed, look up and they are gone, then the panic kicks in.

you know that 'find a treasure in the dirt' sounds like a great game for the kiddo. but at the same time I might just rope him down also :lol: :lol:

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
duck tape him to the storage container with the "treasure in the dirt" he will be busy for hours :lol:

FarmerChick said:
duct tape is very useful :lol:

no really I wasn't joking. if the area is kinda wide open, no hazards to impede a rope situation (obviously look for any type of safety situation) then a harness on the body and rope attached would work. it is all about keep the kid from running into the street and out of your eyesight. people do use those harnesses when walking kids down a very busy road in the cities all the time. seems insane but truly safety is an issue.

kids disappear in an instant. you don't even know it. one second they are there, you look down to plant a bean seed, look up and they are gone, then the panic kicks in.

you know that 'find a treasure in the dirt' sounds like a great game for the kiddo. but at the same time I might just rope him down also :lol: :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok we got it

duct tape and rope

we decided you can't go wrong :lol:

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would pass on the rope, too many young children have hung themselfs on the cords that hang from blinds in the home and believe me its not worth the risk, just when you think everything is fine he could wrap that rope around his neck and your life will never be the same. I would stick with the hog panels that have been well scrubbed. I used them to keep my little ones out of an ornamental pond in the backyard and they worked fine. Cover the cut edges with duct tape because they get very sharp and use good hardware where you fasten them together.