Using Livestock panels for Toddlers' play yard

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dont have any time to post now but will later... just wanted to say I am just about dieing from laughter about the duct tape!!!:lol: Especially cuz when I was a kid we used to tie my brother up to the tree with Duct tape while my mom was at work.... We were such good babysitters!!!:D:D:D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, I am in the same boat with my son. I get about 2 hours during his nap and that is about all the time I get to myself every darn day. He goes to bed late and often gets up fairly early. My house is a disaster because I spend those 2 hours outside in the garden just about every day for my sanity. I don't care if it is raining, snowing, or what not. I need that time outside.

2 hours a day works pretty well, but I am prepared with a headlamp so that if I feel like I'm not getting enough done I will get up at 5 am and go out and work in the garden for another hour or two. So far I haven't had to resort to that, but we are still having wintery conditions here.

We thought about using hog panels in the house for child proofing, but haven't had to resort to it.

Our other plan is to get him a sand box for outside. But I don't think that would solve the problem. When he is outside, we have to watch him every second.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have only heard bad things about sanboxes......snakes and cats

DrakeMaiden said:
Well, I am in the same boat with my son. I get about 2 hours during his nap and that is about all the time I get to myself every darn day. He goes to bed late and often gets up fairly early. My house is a disaster because I spend those 2 hours outside in the garden just about every day for my sanity. I don't care if it is raining, snowing, or what not. I need that time outside.

2 hours a day works pretty well, but I am prepared with a headlamp so that if I feel like I'm not getting enough done I will get up at 5 am and go out and work in the garden for another hour or two. So far I haven't had to resort to that, but we are still having wintery conditions here.

We thought about using hog panels in the house for child proofing, but haven't had to resort to it.

Our other plan is to get him a sand box for outside. But I don't think that would solve the problem. When he is outside, we have to watch him every second.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
you can get the small covered sandboxes with the solid bottom. My kids/nieces/nephew loved theirs...it was actually the same one, just passed around :lol: It was a Litte Tykes turtle. You could get one of those and put up a temporary kid safe fence while you're outside with him maybe. :hu

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I read that a good starter sandbox would be just a plastic storage container (w/ lid) filled with sand. See if your kid likes it or not before getting a larger sandbox.

We have cats, so any open soil or sand is fair game. :p

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was raised "on leash" i didnt like holding hands but didnt like being in the push chair either so baby harness it was, it had essentially a leash attatched and it worked perfectly fine for me...when mum needed to do things outside shes clip a rope to the hanres sinstead (keeps the rope around the waist and then encoraged me to help) the rope was mearly backup in case i tried to wander fof, shed also put a load of toys out to keep me occupied.

nothing wrong wiht a toddler on a leash depiste all the outcry some people seem to throw out there...

if using the hog pannels my biggest concern woudl be sharp edges...so take a hose pipe, just an old leaky one or a realy chap one. cut it to the lenght of the pannel edges, slit right up the middle on one side and slide it over any sharp ends, you can secure with some ducttape if needed too) and tada, relitivly safe. my biggest concern would be head getting stuck or trying to climb them.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have similar problems. I have 2 small children and my neighbors have 2 also, plus my grandnephew comes over to play with the girls and he is authistic (and such a joy). I think I'd love to use these 5 children, plus the safety of all my animals as an excuse to fence in my entire yard. It would be a super-sized playground, but I'd feel safer with all these kids inside of my little prison yard. I can't always keep an eye on them and there are some sick people out there, as well as dangerous animals. I think a fence, plus my dogs can give me enough warning. Plus crime is on the rise.......neighbors are missing things. Kill several birds with one stone; you know.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I think I'd love to use these 5 children, plus the safety of all my animals as an excuse to fence in my entire yard.
If you can afford it, I'd do it. We bought our property because it was completely fenced, even though it wasn't a perfect fence. It was valuable to us to have it. So, in a way it is an investment that might help when/if you ever have to sell.