Using wood ashes

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I've read that potatoes need slightly acidic soil, that too much ash will make the soil more alkaline, causing scab. Anyone experience this? Before I dump too much more on my garden?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I've read that potatoes need slightly acidic soil, that too much ash will make the soil more alkaline, causing scab. Anyone experience this? Before I dump too much more on my garden?
Yes, I've herd this too. I think it was Morel cabin that told me this.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If potatoes need slightly acidic soil why are they the main crop of Idaho? We are pretty alkaline here.

Organics North

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I over did it with the ashes in one gardern. Only kale would grow, real short and dark dark green. Did not get to eat it because the deer ate it first.

Other than a little going into the chickens indoor dust bath, and some for icey spots. I am currently sifting my ashes throug a 1/8" screen I put the little chunks of char coal in the compost pile. (Not the grey ash.)

Something called terra preta do indio is highly intreging to me.....
http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004815.html
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/research/terra preta/terrapretamain.html
is a good primer.

Char coal has the potential to do something very special to the soil, as in the much studied Amazon Dark earth talked about in the above links. Char coal gives the soil good aeration, holds nutrients and moisture and gives the microbes in the soil a place live and be safe from other soil life preditors.

So ash can be good for the soil but one can overdo it, Charcoal can be added at a rate 15% the soil volume..(The smaller the pieces the better.) At least thats what my experience and research shows.

Everyone.. Thanks for all the great tips on using ash. (I do have plenty..)

ON

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I sprinkle mine in the paddocks when I manure them. Just a dustin.
I also use some of the fine stuff from the pellet stove in potting soil I make each year.
I have very accidic soil so I figure I could do this spread a loooooong time before it changes the ph too much.

leenie

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely tips. I used to have a "recipe" for raspberry fertilizer that was sprinkled around the canes in February but I've lost it. Anyone familiar with it?
:thumbsup

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Don't blueberries need acidic soil? Could they be sprinkled around blueberry plants?

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I just gave my new pig ( :fl no one has claimed him yet ) some burnt wood (with ashes) to chew on for worms. (I forgot who mentioned it on my "stray pig" thread, but thank you!!)
Hey, BBH, why don't you post a picture of your Big Brown Horse And your pig together (for perspective)? :lol:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
claud said:
Don't blueberries need acidic soil? Could they be sprinkled around blueberry plants?
I don't think that would work very well- something like leaf mold or peat moss or pine needles would be better. I use redwood bark around mine to hold down the weeks.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mother spread some ashes out for the chickens to dust in the other day and they started eating them instead. Must be something in them that they need.

I also threw a couple of hunks of charred coaly chunks in with the sheeples and they are now gone. They started nibbling these right away.

Hope this really does act as a de-wormer.