Using wood ashes

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
justusnak <~~~~Sifting through the metal trash bin full of woodstove ashes, for chunks for the sheepies. The rest will go in the chickens yards...maybe, Im thinking this muddy mess would be made worse by the ashes. Hmmm. maybe I will sprinkle some in the coop...in the corner for them. I know I need to put it in the turkey coop, that wierdo hen is digging to china in there. UGH! Why oh WHY did I put them on dirt floors!! :th

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
J, I love dirt floors in a coop! They can dust all winter long on a dirt floor and it's so easy to clean out compared to a wooden floor....just rake and go.

Tell you what I've been mixing in my pine bedding....paper shreds! They are so absorbent and the chickens just mix them right into the bedding and they will make for great mulch when I finally clean out the litter.

I collect paper shreds at my office and the local nursing home...they give me enormous bags of it! These would also be great in my future worm bins.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say...other than not being very predator proof...they are OK. I was in there the other day...just trying to add some fresh pine to it, when I noticed...in the coop...where the chickens were digging...RED WORMS! TONS AND TONS!!! The floor was literally CRAWLING with them. The chickens were grabbing them up as fast as they could! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought mine would die from over eating! LOL I had to quickly put in the fresh pine, and hide the wormies. LOL I will be digging up some later this spring, for the compost pile. :D