uuuummmm...crock pot whole chicken question O_o

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Okay so I put a whole chicken(store bought) in the crock pot to cook it down and get some broth and meat out of it to make a couple of dishes out of. And to work my way up to processing our own meat since I had never even cooked a whole store bought chicken; only pieces of them...
(For the record I know how to cook a turkey :lol: )

Due to our life being more hectic than I would like, I was unable to make the dish on the day that I had planned..so I said oookay I will have to make it tomorrow.....and left it in the crockpot on low...

The next day...the same thing happened...life too hectic, I can't get this bird torn apart in the time that I have etc etc...sooo he stayed in the crockpot another day....at that time I am thinking, surely the part of him that is submersed in water has liquefied lol

So now we are two full days out and one morning, and there is a whole chicken that completely fell apart when we DUMPED it out of the crockpot, and the bones are crumbling as I am picking them out.... o_O

uhhh can we still eat this chicken? It tasted fine..... :D

ETA: Yes I'm serious

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would :)

It was on low the whole time, right? I see that as no different than the soups I let simmer for days. Unless your Low setting is a lower temp than most Keep Warm settings, you shouldn't have a problem.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I would too. Especially if it tastes good. The temp should be fine on low to keep bacteria away right?

What kind of crock pot do you have? (It doesn't matter, I'm am just curious :p )

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I would :)

It was on low the whole time, right? I see that as no different than the soups I let simmer for days. Unless your Low setting is a lower temp than most Keep Warm settings, you shouldn't have a problem.
As far as I know it was on the whole time...now as to whether or not my kids could have messed with it, and my husband just turned it back on with out letting me know...well that's debatable..things like that happen more often that I would like :lol:

Soups for days you say?? This sounds right up my alley!

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I would too. Especially if it tastes good. The temp should be fine on low to keep bacteria away right?

What kind of crock pot do you have? (It doesn't matter, I'm am just curious :p )
LOL :lol:

It's an older rival that my mom and dad gave us...I'm not sure how many quarts it is...looks to be at least 5 qts.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would definitely pick out the usable meat and use it for something. If you end up with a bunch of cooked down stuff like the soft bones and such. I would add more water and veggies boil on stove and strain. You will have a wonderful broth. All that great flavor!! Yum!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I use my crock pot to make "bone broths" then feed the strained bones (which turn into bone dust almost) to the chickens.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I started the soup thing last winter when money started getting tight.

I would just throw all the veggies and whatever meat I had into my crockpot & set it on low for 24 hours. We'd eat some of it the next day, and I'd add more veggies to the mix, more water, broth, wine, whatever, then reset the timer. If we went to a friend's house, no worries. It was on low & just continued to cook.
It gradually morphed from one type of soup to another, depending on what I added to it.

I haven't done that this year yet. Too warm for the most part, DH wouldn't want the crockpot on all day with no AC. It heats up the house, just not as much as the oven. But it's getting that time again. :D

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I use my crock pot to make "bone broths" then feed the strained bones (which turn into bone dust almost) to the chickens.
haha there is something a little sick about this I think :lol: :lol:

But seriously I was thinking of that too. I believe that is what I will do with the bones. :D

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I would definitely pick out the usable meat and use it for something. If you end up with a bunch of cooked down stuff like the soft bones and such. I would add more water and veggies boil on stove and strain. You will have a wonderful broth. All that great flavor!! Yum!
It does taste and smell a little bit like Thanksgiving Turkey!! :lol: :lol: