Vacuum sealer recommendations

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are looking for a vacuum sealer for our processed chickens. What ones do you recommend? We'd like something reliable, but not ridiculously expensive (esp. for the bags).

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Seal-a-Meal and absolutely love it. I prefer the Foodsaver bags though. I can put whole chickens in a single bag with no trouble at all.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I absolutely love my Foodsaver! but it is one of the older ones- I don't care for the new upright ones.
If you have one of the older ones be aware that if they don't hold the suction well, it is the little rubber gaskets! Just replace them and it will work gangbusters again!
I even use it for closing my bags of cereal and potato chip bags. no vacuum tho. I love the rolls too- I can make bags to any size I need. and the little ends and bits left can be used to seal up my matches and other tiny stuff that needs to be dry in the camper or car.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like my Foodsaver (an older one). I bought the jar-sealing attachment - so I can vacuum seal my dehydrated foods, coffee beans, nuts, etc. in canning jars, and then reseal after I take some out of the jar - I use that a lot.

At one time I thought my Foodsaver was a dud, because half the bags I sealed would leak air. Later I discovered the choice of bags makes a big difference. Now I use only Foodsaver bags, and I don't have any more trouble with bags losing their seals.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have seen smaller hand held ones. Will those work for the size bags I would need for a chicken, or should we spring for the full-size model?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
FoodSaver Turbo II here and we LOVE IT!! We ONLY use the FoodSaver bags.
DO NOT USE THE CHEAP AFTERMARKET ONES YOU SEE ON E-BAY!!!
They loose their seal in a short amount of time, if they even seal at all! DAMHIK.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Someone offered to lend me her nice vacuum sealer unit when she goes to Florida for the winter. I need to buy bags. I find that the prices are crazy! It will really add a huge chunk to the expense of our pork and chicken. Where can I get the bags at a reasonable price, and what do you consider to be reasonable?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, Free! I can handle the initial expense of the machine, but the bags do seem pretty costly. Is there another good way to pack processed chicken for the freezer? After all the work we will have to do, I hate to lose any to freezer burn!

ETA: I think it's creepy that there are now ads hawking vacuum sealer bags at the bottom of my screen. :/

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Do not buy the bags, buy the rolls of material and size them to whatever your sealing.
As far as the expense of the material? I look at it this way........what would you be LOOSING if all your meat gets ruined because of inferior bag material? I can tell you from experience it ain't cheap when you have to toss out meat......or clean up a fridge because a bag sprung a leak and dripped beef blood all over the inside.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a slighly used Foodsaver V2490 off of ebay. About 70 bucks. Then I ordered three rolls of the bags from a vendor also on ebay - a calif firm. The material works fine for me. I also went online to Foodsaver and ordered two gaskets for the future.