Vacuum sealer recommendations

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
EllenDee said:
I am also considering getting the vacuum cannisters to store vegetables in - has anyone tried it & is it worth it? I have also been looking at the ethelyne absorbers, but both are very expensive in Australia, so I don't want to get them if they are no good....
I use the canisters for my coffee beans and the coffee after I grind it. I grind enough for a few days. They keep it very fresh. But the problem I have is that you can't tell when all the air is out of the canister. I once cracked a canister from over-suctioning it.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have managed to put off getting a vacuum sealer for years now. I think this summer I may need one. We are planning a killer garden!

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love my Foodsaver. Try to buy bags on sale and like the rolls best. There are just two of us and I find that I can freeze meal portion sizes for less waste. Foror veggies, I do most of them in two portion sizes and then some in larger packages for times when we have guests/holidays etc. Sincewe participate in a CSA I have a variety of veggies each week rather than a bushel or more of any one veggie so it's really easy to prepare, blanch, and package. If I haven't partially frozen the item I put the bags on a cookie sheet, get them as flat as possible and then put them in the freezer on the cookie sheet until they are firm. Makes stacking them easier and is space saving. I haven't tried vaccum sealing jars but love the idea of doing them in the pressure canner! I also buy packaged meat that has been reduced on last sell by date and seal and freeze. sometimes the larger family packs are a really good deal this way and feed the two of for many meals! The Foodsaver makes it so easy to do this.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Which FoodSaver models take the attachment for the widemouth jars? I want to use that for dry goods but I'm not sure which models work. (I would be happy to use it as well for sealing things for the freezer, but don't want to be able to *only* use the bags/film.)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Which FoodSaver models take the attachment for the widemouth jars? I want to use that for dry goods but I'm not sure which models work. (I would be happy to use it as well for sealing things for the freezer, but don't want to be able to *only* use the bags/film.)
From what I have read they all do - all the Foodsaver brand that is. Mine came with a clear plastic tube that fits into a port on the machine, and also fits onto the attachment (bought separately). That was also something that I wanted to make sure was part of it, as I store a lot of stuff in jars. (For what its worth, I checked out different models on the website, and made sure to read the comments from purchasers; it turned out that the one that met my needs, and got a lot of positive feedback (a number of them don't), was for sale at our local farmstore - so, no shipping!)