Vacuum Sealing Mason Ball Jars

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone here use the FoodSaver vacuum sealer attachments(wide mouth and reg.) for vacuum sealing grains, etc. in canning jars..? Have you tried other vacuum sealers other than Food Saver for canning jars..? How did it work for you and are you still using this method.?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have the wide mouth attachment for my older Food Saver. I just started using it this year. Not sure how long the items will last. Mostly I am sealing dehydrated peppers and such. It seems to work pretty well.

G

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have both the regular and the wide mouth attachments that we use to vacuum seal jars with our dehydrated fruits and vegetables. Around our house the fruit usually gets used within about 6 or 8 months. If we store a lot of one type of dehydrated vegetables to where we have enough to last a year or more, I usually add a 300cc oxygen absorber pack to each jar. I have read where people say this is overkill, but I buy them in bulk for a few cents each, and I like the added insurance.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you buy the attachment where you buy the Food Saver, or do you have to order online from the company? I've never seen the attachment at a store. :idunno

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have never seen them at the store either. My old seal-a-meal has a port for the vacuum tube, but I would have to order the gear for it online.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a wide mouth lid sealer for my Game Saver on Amazon. I use it to seal just about everything in jars! The long term stuff, I do as KOxxx does, and throw in an absorber. I also seal up things like cereal and marshmallows in them. That stuff used to go stale long before it's finished at my house. Now, we just pop the lid when we want some, seal it up again, and it's fresh for next time.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We have both the regular and the wide mouth attachments that we use to vacuum seal jars with our dehydrated fruits and vegetables. Around our house the fruit usually gets used within about 6 or 8 months. If we store a lot of one type of dehydrated vegetables to where we have enough to last a year or more, I usually add a 300cc oxygen absorber pack to each jar. I have read where people say this is overkill, but I buy them in bulk for a few cents each, and I like the added insurance.
Would you mind sharing where you get your oxygen absorbers? I have searched for the best price, but still feel like I am paying too much.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought my Foodsaver vacuum attachment for jars at my local Walmart.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
k0xxx said:
Would you mind sharing where you get your oxygen absorbers? I have searched for the best price, but still feel like I am paying too much.
I went and checked my O2 absorbers, and what I stated was incorrect. It's not the 300cc absorbers that I use in my quart and pint jars, it's the 100cc. I use the 100cc for everything from #10 can size, and smaller. I use the 2000cc size for 5 and 6 gallon buckets. The less dense food items, like pasta, get more absorbers than foods like rice, sugar, etc.

I get my absorbers either through eBay, if I can catch a good enough price, but mostly from USA Emergency Supply .