Val's SS journal- Fair food! Yea!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
While I am not exactly sure how it works, the low sugar/no sugar required stuff works just fine. I used it on some strawberry/rhubarb jam this year. Last year I made pepper jelly, honey mead jelly and pear jam. All set fine.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have idea what's in the pectin but its all I use. Sometimes when the fruit is really sweet its nice to skip the sugar all together.

Enjoy your day!!

G

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You should try using Pomona's Universal Pectin, I just ordered some from Amazon. An example recipe off the box:
Blueberry Jam

Low Sugar Blueberry Jam
[makes 3 pints or 6 cups]
6 cups of mashed blueberries (about 9 cups of blueberries)
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/4 cups organic cane sugar
1 package Pomona's Universal Pectin

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, I think the soap is going to wait. I decided to drag the pasture while I had the tractor out to put the round bale in for the beasts. So, I am already behind! And I just discovered I must eat something- a couple of hot dogs won't take long. And, I have a lot more laundry than I thought I did. I HATE folding laundry!!! And I discovered a basket full that SO left to be folded and put away in addition to the loads I am doing :duc

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything more delicious than licking the pot you make jam in! :lol:

S

sunsaver

I love jams and jellies, but don't get to eat them very often since i took bread and biscuits out of my diet. I like to make syrups that can be served with ice cream or mixed into sparkling water or wine. I also like to make schnapps.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
SS- are you gluten intolerant? There are recipes out there for home made gluten free crackers. They sound so good I may try them myself, even though I am not intolerant of the store bought stuff. I will look around for the recipes. I don't think I bookmarked them.

S

sunsaver

No, i stopped eating bread because it has a high glycemic index, and adult onset diabetes runs in my family. Bread, flour, cookies, crackers and cakes are out. Pasta is okay because it stays in fairly big chunks and does not spike your blood sugar. I have lost a ton of weight by making this simple change, no sugar or chips. I snack on cucumber or carrot sticks with homemade, chemical free french onion dip.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Ah- what about nut based crackers? I see them in the store. (I bought them once for my gluten intolerant BIL. Then once we were home I realized he is allergic to nuts, too! :p )