Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Right back off topic again...

That's lots worse than mine, you poor thing. I just don't understand most calculations. I'm sorry you have to put up with that. I have it in conjunction with ADD. Is that something you are dealing with as well? They sometimes go hand in hand. I am always six months late with my taxes because I can't figure out how to prepare the information AND the ADD keeps me busy doing other things !!!!!

Lady Henevere said:
I have dyscalculia too!! I don't engage in many "frugality" conversations here -- I can't tell whether I pay a good price or bad price for something. Even if I knew how much I paid when I bought something once, I would never remember the price later because numbers don't stick in my head. Oh well, what can you do? I just avoid numbers when I can.
Sorry, will cut down on the calculations. One of those math orientated people. Forget not everyone is into calculations. Coincidentally, I am always amazed at those people that can throw together a 20 page paper in 2-3 hours and still get an A. It literally took me weeks to write a paper in college.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been hankering for good sub sandwich. Think I will make some faux meatballs out of TVP and a good barbeque sauce. Will post the recipe after I get around to making it today or tomorrow.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Was just called to go sub tomorrow. I am very glad I started making 'meat'balls tonight. I'll pack it for lunch tomorrow.

I mixed 1 cup TVP with 7/8 cup beef flavored broth (from bouillon). When it was absorbed, I mixed one egg, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 TBSP Italian seasoning, 2 tsp salt and chopped together. Rolled them into balls and placed them on a cookie sheet. Baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 or firm.

Placed them in a slow cooker with 2 cans chopped tomatoes, 2 cans tomato sauce, 2 TBSP Italian seasoning, 1 TBSP salt, 2 TBSP olive oil, 2 tsp brown sugar, some garlic and onion powder and 2 bay leaves. I am cooking it on low overnight - about 8 hours.

I will probably adjust the measurements and ingredients later on. It seems to be okay so far.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Enjoy! I was thinking about having them with noodles and a mushroom gravy maybe. (My body doesn't handle tomato sauce well.)
I'm out of tvp but will pick some up next trip to the health food store. Thanks :thumbsup

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tell me how it turns out. You may need to play around with the flour water ratio.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Nope, no ADD, thank goodness.

This is a delicious breakfast recipe that is great over leftover rice porridge (3 c. brown rice boiled with 2.5 c. water until thick) or oatmeal.

1/2 c. chopped raw pecans or walnuts
1.5 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/2 t. grated fresh ginger

Lightly brown nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat; set aside. Put berries, syrup, and ginger in saucepan over medium heat; cook about 5 minutes until berries pop and the juice thickens a little. Spoon over rice porridge or oatmeal; sprinkle with toasted nuts.

Adapted from The Vegan Gourmet by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay
This sounds fantastic! I never thought to put fresh grated ginger over fruit and maple syrup! :drool