Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Not being a vegetarian I have kind of just been reading along here. I love to cook with spices and don't need to eat meat for every meal. Actually I can totally live without red meat at all. I do like to play with my spices though and found this website a while back. I really like the way they have grouped the spices and veggies together for specific meat substitute taste.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1950706/herb_spice_and_vegetable_guide_for.html?cat=22

I have tried the chicken substitute and found it to be pretty good. I used mushrooms and asparagus with wild rice baked as a cassarole. Turned out yummy.

I can't eat sage so I just used pepper, fresh garlic and instead of celery seed I used leaf celery. I also added in some fresh pimento pepper and water chestnuts.

I don't have a set recipe as with most things I just kind of throw it together as I go depending on what I have on hand.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank You Just bookmarked the site. Also, may wheat gluten faux kielbasa. Turned out nice. Unfortuantely, didn't write down the ingredients. Will try to make it again and report back to you.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The Chik'nish sounds pretty good. I still pinch pennies now- just not as much as then. I have old student loans too. They aren't much fun.
I hope your head feels better soon. You might want to get checked out.

I just bookmarked that spice site. Looked interesting. Thanks :p

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thought I'd add this one here as well as on TR's thread. Seasonings are really to taste, as I don't really measure when I cook. This meal could easily be made vegetarian.

KJM's Chili Recipe

2 T olive oil
1/2 red onion, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 lb ground beef**
2 lg cans diced tomatoes
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can tomato paste
1 - 1 1/2 qt water^^
1 1/2 c green lentils**
1 can dark kidney beans
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash No-Salt Hamburger Grilling Spice Mix
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 T vinegar
4 T beef broth powder without msg^^
1/4 tsp honey
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp crushed dried red peppers

Heat oil in large pot. Saut onions and garlic. Add beef and brown, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato soup, beans, lentils, and spices. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick and lentils are cooked.

**Beef could be omitted and the amount of lentils increased for a vegetarian meal.
^^You could use broth or stock instead (veggie would be good). This is just what I had on hand at the moment.

ETA: I had cumin listed twice. I have corrected the above recipe to add 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash No-Salt Hamburger Grilling Spice Mix. THANKS BB for catching that! :D

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
The Chik'nish sounds pretty good. I still pinch pennies now- just not as much as then. I have old student loans too. They aren't much fun.
I hope your head feels better soon. You might want to get checked out.

I just bookmarked that spice site. Looked interesting. Thanks :p
My head feels a lot better, thank you. Pinching pennies is also fun. Actually feel happier now that I am not spending that much money. It is also nice not to see my bank account clean out as fast.

Yeah, student loans are not that much fun. I had it better than those who are just starting college. High fees, rising cost of living and dwindling financial aid. A year of school is about the same cost of raising a family of four for a year. No joke!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Okay this is completely off topic,but it has made me laugh four or five times. I read the "Vegetarians Unite" and I think of the bumper sticker: "Dyslexics Untie".

I personally enjoy numerical dyslexia called dyscalcula, so I am sort of making fun of myself...in case I have offended anyone.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have dyscalculia too!! I don't engage in many "frugality" conversations here -- I can't tell whether I pay a good price or bad price for something. Even if I knew how much I paid when I bought something once, I would never remember the price later because numbers don't stick in my head. Oh well, what can you do? I just avoid numbers when I can.

Back on topic, I don't use a lot of meat substitutes (DD, a lifelong vegetarian hates them, and I don't really want them most of the time). Here's a very simple favorite of mine:

Sicilian-style spaghetti
8 oz dried spaghetti
2T olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/4 t dried red chili flakes

Cook pasta til al dente. Meanwhile, heat olive oil, add garlic and chili flakes, and saute 1-2 minutes but don't brown the garlic. Pour oil mixture over the pasta, add salt to taste, and toss.

Broccoli made the same way (use steamed broccoli rather than spaghetti) is very good too.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Right back off topic again...

That's lots worse than mine, you poor thing. I just don't understand most calculations. I'm sorry you have to put up with that. I have it in conjunction with ADD. Is that something you are dealing with as well? They sometimes go hand in hand. I am always six months late with my taxes because I can't figure out how to prepare the information AND the ADD keeps me busy doing other things !!!!!

Lady Henevere said:
I have dyscalculia too!! I don't engage in many "frugality" conversations here -- I can't tell whether I pay a good price or bad price for something. Even if I knew how much I paid when I bought something once, I would never remember the price later because numbers don't stick in my head. Oh well, what can you do? I just avoid numbers when I can.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nope, no ADD, thank goodness.

This is a delicious breakfast recipe that is great over leftover rice porridge (3 c. brown rice boiled with 2.5 c. water until thick) or oatmeal.

1/2 c. chopped raw pecans or walnuts
1.5 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/2 t. grated fresh ginger

Lightly brown nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat; set aside. Put berries, syrup, and ginger in saucepan over medium heat; cook about 5 minutes until berries pop and the juice thickens a little. Spoon over rice porridge or oatmeal; sprinkle with toasted nuts.

Adapted from The Vegan Gourmet by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay

Latest posts