Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think we should transfer this discussion to One Dollar A Day Diet/ Food Stamp Diet thread. Those following that thread would love this discussion. It seems that lack of Vit C, D and a madrid of other nutrients can be attached to being poor and living in urban areas.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
dragonlaurel said:
big brown horse said:
You are right about that, this little homestead is nestled within an old, old forest. I had to add dirt woops, I mean soil, to make my in-ground garden out of a forest floor. :)
Bigbrownhorse, ! or 2 Brazil nuts daily provides selenium. Brazil's soil is rich in it and those nuts are a very good source.
I'd love to see pics. It sounds beautiful.

Back on topic- I got a good deal on squash this week. Just had a quick soup that was so satisfying.
1 little zucchini- sliced
1 little yellow- sliced
1 green onion- chopped all but the roots
1stick of celery- sliced
1 shake of kelp granules (Maine coast container- any would work)
small handful of parsley
olive oil
curry
fine noodles
miso- dissolve in cool water and add at end.
Dragonlaurel, I buy selenium rich grass hay for the herd animals here, it comes from the other side of the mountians. Oh, see those lovely wild chanterelles up there in the photo of the week, that was taken in my back "yard". :) (You know how happy I would be to show off the rest, so let me try to upload some photos. :p)

We eat nuts like they were going out of style. I have a wonderful nut cookbook I got when I was a vegan. As soon as I unpack my books I will add some nummy nut vegan/vegetarian recipes. :)
I wouldn't use them for animal feed but you already know what to do for them.

I meant for the humans to enjoy the Brazil nuts. Wish I could do them myself.
I have to avoid nuts because of the peanut allergy. Haven't been tested yet for the tree nuts. Gotta play it safe but the other people will enjoy those recipes.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
big brown horse said:
dragonlaurel said:
Bigbrownhorse, ! or 2 Brazil nuts daily provides selenium. Brazil's soil is rich in it and those nuts are a very good source.
I'd love to see pics. It sounds beautiful.

Back on topic- I got a good deal on squash this week. Just had a quick soup that was so satisfying.
1 little zucchini- sliced
1 little yellow- sliced
1 green onion- chopped all but the roots
1stick of celery- sliced
1 shake of kelp granules (Maine coast container- any would work)
small handful of parsley
olive oil
curry
fine noodles
miso- dissolve in cool water and add at end.
Dragonlaurel, I buy selenium rich grass hay for the herd animals here, it comes from the other side of the mountians. Oh, see those lovely wild chanterelles up there in the photo of the week, that was taken in my back "yard". :) (You know how happy I would be to show off the rest, so let me try to upload some photos. :p)

We eat nuts like they were going out of style. I have a wonderful nut cookbook I got when I was a vegan. As soon as I unpack my books I will add some nummy nut vegan/vegetarian recipes. :)
I wouldn't use them for animal feed but you already know what to do for them.

I meant for the humans to enjoy the Brazil nuts. Wish I could do them myself.
I have to avoid nuts because of the peanut allergy. Haven't been tested yet for the tree nuts. Gotta play it safe but the other people will enjoy those recipes.
That's okay. Peanuts are actually a legume. So they are a pea not a nut hehe! Ask your doctor you maybe able to eat them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, I often wondered that myself about "pea"nut allergies. I assumed they could eat other real nuts. Oh, please ask your doctor first.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Usually someone is allergic to one or the other....peanuts or tree nuts, but usually not both. Usually. I can eat peanuts but not tree nuts. Often, too, with tree nut allergies it is just one type of nut and not all of them.

BTW, since my nut allergies came on gradually as an adult, I have plans to do some experimenting with soaking and drying them (NT "Crispy Nuts" recipe) and have some raw almonds in the fridge.....as soon as I get brave enough to try it. That book has given several foods back to me through proper preparation, and I hope nuts are included. If so, I can't wait to have Brazil nuts again, one of my favorites!

Of course, use extreme caution, and never eat anything you might be allergic to based on some wingnut's internet yammering..... :D

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just looked it up. Both peanuts and nuts have the same protein structure despite being in very different parts of the plant world. So, if you are allergic to one you are most likely allergic to another. But you can have peanut oil. I suppose because it is a fat not a protein.

I have often wonder. How do you eat with a nut allergy? Do you have to avoid restaurants and cook entirely at home, from scratch? Please, forgive my ignorance on this. No one in my family has a food allergy.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DianeB said:
I just looked it up. Both peanuts and nuts have the same protein structure despite being in very different parts of the plant world. So, if you are allergic to one you are most likely allergic to another. But you can have peanut oil. I suppose because it is a fat not a protein.

I have often wonder. How do you eat with a nut allergy? Do you have to avoid restaurants and cook entirely at home, from scratch? Please, forgive my ignorance on this. No one in my family has a food allergy.
That is a really good question, we aren't allergic to anything either. (All nuts here get a good over night soak and then get dehydrated too.)

wingnut's internet yammering too funny!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am allergic to tree nuts but not peanuts. Walnuts are the worst, and could be really, really bad if I ate one by mistake. I don't have an issue with being near someone who eats them. DH eats mixed nuts all the time. Sometimes I will bake something with them for others and have no issues with that.

I rarely eat at restaurants and barely eat at potluck parties. I eat before I go and then pick carefully. It is amazing how people disregard food allergies, thinking those of us with allergies are just being picky. Especially allergies to "healthy" foods. I carry Benedryl when I eat food I haven't prepared, and at restaurants, avoid soups, sauces, dressings, etc, and stick to very simple foods that are prepared in a way that I can clearly see each ingredient. I will sometimes talk to the cook or at chains, can look at ingredient lists. It is a major pain in the patootie.

My list of forbidden foods is very long, and besides nuts, includes most tree fruits, melons, celery, cabbage, potatoes, etc.

This is why I am such a fan of Nourishing Traditions. Sally Fallon has given foods back to me through proper preparation, and now, food is fun and exciting and enjoyable. It had become the enemy. My brother was basically down to brown rice and chicken, too, so it runs in the family.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I partially take back not having a food allergy. For some reason package tortillas and cocoa mixes give me headaches and hives. If I make them at home form scratch, I am perfectly fine. One time in college I ate a flavored tortilla. After only a few minutes, my throat started to close off, broke out in hives all over and had a severe migrane for a several hours. It was just not bad enough that I didn't have to go to the hospital. The only things I didn't recognize on the back of the package was chemical additives.

I usually don't think about it because I make my meals at home from scratch. Haven't had an episode like that for a longtime. Probably allergic to some perservative. Assume these are easy to avoid.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I realized my longer answer about getting by with a peanut allergy was handy info but Way Off Topic. I put it on my journal instead, at http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3161

There was some info that could still help about getting vegetarian foods:

Read the whole ingredient label on all prepared foods.
Ask servers questions. Ask for someone to translate if needed. (A server that didn't speak English well served me a side dish of peanut sauce - after told him I was allergic to peanut. )
I snack before a party/potluck or new restaurant so I wont be too hungry - in case there isn't much eligible food.
Offer to bring a dish to a party. You'll know there is something you can have that everybody might enjoy.
Grocery shopping is slow when you have to read labels. Good motivation to cook from scratch.