Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw that the baby died of direct malnutrition caused by the parents.

of course would have to look it up now if we are in doubt..LOL

Yea, they did take it to the extreme. So many people do that, add an adult fixation onto others (like kids) and do harm. I am sure it isn't intended for harm, but the outcome is never nice.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DEATH BY VEGANISM

6 week old Atlanta baby dies of starvation - the parents convicted of murder

The New York Times
Nina Planck
May 21, 2007

WHEN Crown Shakur died of starvation, he was 6 weeks old and weighed 3.5 pounds. His vegan parents, who fed him mainly soy milk and apple juice, were convicted in Atlanta recently of murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty.
This particular calamity at least the third such conviction of vegan parents in four years may be largely due to ignorance. But it should prompt frank discussion about nutrition.
I was once a vegan. But well before I became pregnant, I concluded that a vegan pregnancy was irresponsible. You cannot create and nourish a robust baby merely on foods from plants.
Indigenous cuisines offer clues about what humans, naturally omnivorous, need to survive, reproduce and grow: traditional vegetarian diets, as in India, invariably include dairy and eggs for complete protein, essential fats and vitamins. There are no vegan societies for a simple reason: a vegan diet is not adequate in the long run.

this is vegan--not vegetarian which does include the proteins like eggs, dairy, etc.

not to be taken as a monster debate at all......just to be realized there are other sides to be taken into consideration when choosing how to live your life and how it might effects others.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
not to be taken as a monster debate at all......just to be realized there are other sides to be taken into consideration when choosing how to live your life and how it might effects others.
i have to throw in with FC on this one....

even my pregnant vegetarian sis in law was told FIRMLY by her holistic, tree huggin, west coast doc that she'd better start eating meat protein or she'd be putting her baby in danger...and she'd been off meat for years and years. fortunately she took the advice and drove directly to the nearest burger place and had a cheeseburger.

i think what most of us are saying is that what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another. caution is best and so is moderation.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do vegans not breastfeed? :rolleyes:

OK, I think it is time to go back to vegetarian recipes! :p
hee hee hee hee hee well said!!!

and since we're funnin' around (finally!!!!).....isnt raw food what we feed livestock?? well at least it is around here....

i get my healthy glow from bacon
;-)

does anyone have a curry egg salad recipe that works? i find that most over over-curried or missing some kind of zing......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow Ohio
yea your SIL is smart to know that it is important to have a well rounded diet...good for her! I hope she realizes babies have other needs from adults.

Cool

good post

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea Free
we did get off track----
back to recipes

breastmilk has only ingredients in it the mother eats. so it is a direct result to the kid.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know one thing I love is this-----

cut up sweet potatoes real thin
salt a tad
directly in 450 deg. oven and bake.

they make the best snack chips and are oil free, chem. free and just are great for dipping if you make them a tad thicker.

Snacks are important also when thinking about how to eat well.

Snacks are something everyone does. All people love snacks and the healthier we make them the better we do our own bodies.

We had alot of threads on snacks and most are vegan/vegetarian types.

Hey popcorn. Nobutter for vegans but tons of spices we can add to make them delish.
Great snack.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Of course, silly me. But it still would be better than soy, which will disrupt hormones in the growing baby. Even non-vegan babies have serious health issues on soy formula.

Oops, veg recipes.... I'd better throw one in. I am making copycat Lara bars today, if they come out, I will post the recipe later.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Oh, different baby and parents. I thought you meant the raw food baby from your post.

I know a family that is third generation vegan. The daughters. now in their 20s are robust, very high IQs, and never ate meat in their entire lives. No dairy or eggs. The key is a well planned balanced diet, educating yourself on nutrition and a healthy lifestyle in all respects, including exercise.
They are Seventh Day Adventists, which has amassed loads of knowledge on veganism and vegetarianism from the members who have been living the philosophy for some time. Certainly genes help but their children thrived very well on a vegan diet as did their parents.
As the article states-ignorance was a big player.

I stayed briefly in Denton, Texas with a group of college friends who operated a health food restaurant. I helped food prep and clean up. I ate what they ate-everything was made from whole wheat. That was it!
Whole wheat "potatoes" with whole wheat "gravy" and whole wheat meat analogs. Not whole wheat berries but ground coarse flour. No fruits or vegetables. That was too extreme for me but I was glad to have experienced it.