Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, fish sauce, meat based broths don't bother me too much. I just stay away from them on principle. If I am a vegetarian then I shouldn't have any meat or meat products.

The real reason I became a vegetarian is humanitarian. It was back in April '08 when all the reports of the global food crisis was coming out. (This has only become worse, but no one seems to talk about it anymore.) The main reason was that the price of grain had become too high for developing countries. US, Europe, Japan and so on were buying more grain for biofuel and animal feed. I thought how unfair. Humans should not have to compete with stock animals for food. So I stopped eating meat, use a car as little as possible and donate what I can to food pantries and humanitarian aid. It may seem like a drop in the bucket but I think it makes a difference.

Now that I have chickens, it has also become more of a farm animal welfare reason. I could not imagine eating my feather friends or anything raised in such inhumane ways. (The only source I really could get meat is from factory farms due to cost and sourcing.)

Edited due to some typos

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We grew up as vegetarian, but fish, eggs and milk were ok so I sometimes forget about fish and fish products and who eats what.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
OFG, you are stinkin' funny. Or maybe just stinkin', if you are the horse's patootie....
i'm going for just plain stinky!! hee hee hee

you know.. fish sauce kinda grows on you after a while....

i think you can use one of the other soy sauces (mirin??) or even better, dark dark molasses in place of fish sauce.... at least thats what i've read. its not the same but it adds depth of flavor.

and yeah i think we are more funsters over here... yay!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
We grew up as vegetarian, but fish, eggs and milk were ok so I sometimes forget about fish and fish products and who eats what.
Oh, please, don't misunderstand me. I am saying that it doesn't bother me. Eating a whole steak or a chicken breast is a different story.

I do believe that vegetarian oyster sauce aka stir-fry sauce is a sub for fish sauce.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I understand. I was a vegan for a good while and I didn't freak out if my food was touched by someone's meat order or anything like that. I was a vegan for many reasons, mostly b/c I was worried about CAFOS etc. Plus I have a bleeding heart for animals.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Miss the North - Thanks for the lentil burger recipe. I want to try them soon. That loaf sounded interesting too. Even carnivores can have good veggies recipes. :lol: They just call them side dishes.

Ohiofarmgirl - My DH is a carnivore :idunno so I tend to ignore meat talk. I saved the lentil soup recipe. That should be good.

My blood sugar runs low too sometimes- not diagnosed- so far. My Mom is Hypoglycemic too. I like to keep cooked beans, hard boiled eggs, or cheese around so I can get some protein in me fast then. Starchy stuff doesn't hold me long enough unless I have some fats and protein food with it. Whole grain versions for carbs don't crash me fast like sugar will. High fructose corn syrup is evil though. :th Makes me feel crappy. Egg salad sandwich on whole grain helps then.

Big Brown Horse- I'll have to experiment with that Thai Noodles recipe. I'm Allergic to peanuts. Thanks!
My husband likes fish sauce so I asked him if he could think of something that had a similar taste- to substitute for it. He couldn't think of anything.

Freemotion- Too much soy - especially soy milk- which i loved, throws off my monthly cycle.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
High fructose corn syrup is evil though. :th Makes me feel crappy
aint that right!

yep i keep nuts, cheese, and today i've got not one but TWO pots of beans going right now.... i cant remember the last time i had white pasta or rice....

:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
vegetarians eat animal produced such as eggs and dairy & cheese etc.

vegans eat no animal products at all.

many true vegans don't even like vegetarians. vegans say animals truly are equal to human life and don't deserve to be used as food. so even taking eggs and milk is wrong to a vegan. because it is using the animals for products we "don't require to survive"

I had a big discussion with a vegan and wow, they are thru the roof over the animal equality to human life (of course not everyone, but this vegan was intense....even pets should never be owned! a pet owner is a horrible person to some vegans) Again---not all.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
vegetarians eat animal produced such as eggs and dairy & cheese etc.

vegans eat no animal products at all.

many true vegans don't even like vegetarians. vegans say animals truly are equal to human life and don't deserve to be used as food. so even taking eggs and milk is wrong to a vegan. because it is using the animals for products we "don't require to survive"

I had a big discussion with a vegan and wow, they are thru the roof over the animal equality to human life (of course not everyone, but this vegan was intense....even pets should never be owned! a pet owner is a horrible person to some vegans) Again---not all.
Then I have many traits and beliefs that vegans do. I believe in the sanctity and respect for all life. I don't place myself above animals.
I am not vegan because I don't view dairy and unfertilized eggs in the same category as meat.

Most vegans that I know are heavily invested in soy products. I do not eat soy.
I asked a vegan group how they address the issue of B12 which doesn't occur in any quantity in vegetative sources. They supplement with spirulina, which has recently been found to contain B12 through the tiny animal life that gets processed along with the algae. Not too different from not washing greens or vegetables from the garden before consuming. The soy and spirulina produce and contain B12 analogues which sometimes block B12 absorption. To me it is just splitting hairs. Give me a tomato or apple right out of the garden.