Vegetarians Unite...And Make Delicious, Economical And Nutritious Food

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am as far from a vegetarian as you can get also. I am a meat lover and almost all my "veggie type dishes" will involve some type of meat cubed or chicken sauteed. I assume tofu or something like that could just be the substitute.

But mac n cheese, broccoli casserole with mushrooms, asparagus roasted with some cheddar on top, twice baked potatoes loaded (w/o bacon bits), corn salad, all types of warm and cold salads combinations, tofu tacos, tons of soups, etc.

I guess the key is all recipes can easily be made meatless...just sub the tofu stuff in place of meat.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I could very easily and happily become a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have a husband, however, who believe the earth revolves only becuase it contains meat, potatoes and corn. So, we compromise.

During the winter, we may go days without eating meat, mainly because I always have some new pot of soup cooking. Here's one we really enjoy and pretty balanced, containing beans (or dried peas). This, along with a whole-grain grilled cheese sandwich, should be cheap and nourishing:

Green Velvet Soup
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 potatoes, diced
cup dried split peas
2 bay leaves
6 cups vegetable broth (could substitute chicken)
2 zucchini, diced
1 head broccoli, chopped
teaspoon dried basil
teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups chopped fresh spinach
salt to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, combine onion, celery, potatoes, split peas, bay leaves and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Remove the bay leaves and stir in the zucchini, broccoli, basil and black pepper. Simmer 20 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
Stir in spinach and remove from heat. Puree in a blender or food processor using an immersion blender. Salt to taste.
YUM!!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I am as far from a vegetarian as you can get also. I am a meat lover and almost all my "veggie type dishes" will involve some type of meat cubed or chicken sauteed. I assume tofu or something like that could just be the substitute.

But mac n cheese, broccoli casserole with mushrooms, asparagus roasted with some cheddar on top, twice baked potatoes loaded (w/o bacon bits), corn salad, all types of warm and cold salads combinations, tofu tacos, tons of soups, etc.

I guess the key is all recipes can easily be made meatless...just sub the tofu stuff in place of meat.
Tofu is usually only good in place of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or to make a cream sauce. TVP or a prepackaged ground beef substitute is usually good for ground beef or turkey. Sometimes if it is a bean or vegetable based dish you can just leave out the meat and adjust the seasonings accordingly. Seiten aka wheat gluten is a good sub for beef, pork or chicken is stir-frys. Large chunck TVP can also be used in stirfrys or in stews in place of beef.

If you are stuck on what to put in place of meat just put down beef substitute, etc. Most vegetarians are pretty adept at subbing. If not, I am pretty sure their are others on this forum that can post good substitutes.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am Ohhh soooo NOT a vegetarian, but I have made these on occasion, for a friend whose daughter was, and also for my fil who is. They are quite good. I have also made lentil loaf and it is quite good, even my hubby, who turns his nose up for things that "pretend to be meat" (his theory is don't pretend--have the real thing, but...) he did enjoy the loaf. so that says alot IMO.

Lentil burgers.

1 c dry lentils, well rinsed
2 c water
t salt
1 T olive oil
medium onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
t pepper
1 t soy sauce, optional
c rolled oats, finely ground
c bread crumbs
Place the lentils, water, and salt in saucepan, bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until water is nearly gone and lentils are very soft, with splitting skins. Saut the onion and carrot in oil until soft, about 5 minutes.Mix the lentils, onions, carrots, pepper, and optional soy sauce in the large bowl, then mix in the ground oats and bread crumbs.While still warm, form the lentil mixture into patties, which can now be frozen, refrigerated (for up to 5 days), or cooked immediately.

Cooking (2 possibilities):
1. In a frying pan, heat a bit of oil, place a burger on top, and fry until brown, 1-2 minutes. Repeat on other side and serve.
2. In a 400 oven, bake the burgers on a greased baking sheet until light brown, about 15 minutes.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Missthenorth -- thanks for the review of the lentil burger recipe. It is one I have a copy of and have always wanted to make . . . just never got around to it. Now I have new motivation to try it!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey FC and WifeZ - meat lovers unite!!!

hee hee hee i laughed when i saw this... thanks for all the veggie recipies! i'll be sure to put a big ol' slab of bacon on all of them!!! hee hee hee

;-)

BBH - give your man a high five from me - cows are made of steak for a reason!

oh i'm just funnin' with you... i like the occasional meatless dish too. but like WifeZ i cant do it either. hordes of veg's have tried to tell me for years i can but none of it works for me with this body. i tend toward low blood sugars and i need meat based proteins to keep me upright.

we like lentil soup with lots of thyme and some greens.

thanks for the lentil burgers recipe!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey FC and WifeZ - meat lovers unite!!!

hee hee hee i laughed when i saw this... thanks for all the veggie recipies! i'll be sure to put a big ol' slab of bacon on all of them!!! hee hee hee

;-)

BBH - give your man a high five from me - cows are made of steak for a reason!
Please, be respectful of those that have chosen a plant-based diet.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm sorry DianeB, if i offending you.. please see the "oh i'm just funnin' with you... i like the occasional meatless dish too"

i'm not trying to get anyone to change their mind. i thought we were just chatting. i was happy to see all of the good ideas.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
i'm sorry DianeB, if i offending you.. please see the "oh i'm just funnin' with you... i like the occasional meatless dish too"

i'm not trying to get anyone to change their mind. i thought we were just chatting. i was happy to see all of the good ideas.
Its okay. I just don't want this thread to go off topic, turn into a heated debate and then get locked. Not that is were you were heading. You just have to be careful. One comment can send someone into a tailspin.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It's ok, she's just been sipping bacon martinis, apparently. :rolleyes: LOL