Veggies

What's your favorite or least favorite veggie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, that sounds yum, the cabbage with bacon…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything is better with bacon! That does sound delicious though. I'll have to try it sometime!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A dinner we do regularly is to slice smoked sausages and brown them nicely to render out some of the fat, then saute onions until they are tender and then add a bunch of cabbage (1 whole head for 2 of us, lol) that has been sliced and rinsed so there is still a bit of water clinging to it. Add some ground pepper and close the pot for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. I cook the cabbage just until it changes color and get a little tender (al dente?). We've tried it with different sausages, but like the smoked ones the best... although andouille was a close second. Bacon would work well too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cook cabbage like that too. I add a splash of soy sauce.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Voting? when you choose something it could be EITHER favorite or least liked -- it will all come out as same in a vote. So you do not get a result. Maybe that's why there are other posts.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went from okra hater to okra lover. But that is only for 2 versions. Stewed okra and fried okra. I refuse to eat it boiled. :sick

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think my most favorite veggie is cabbage. Wife make great cabbage rolls and then there is sour kraut and oh... cabbage soup over rice for those long winter nights and when your feeling a little down. Nothing sets my mood right like cabbage soup and it's so good for you too...

My next favorite would be beets and expecially raw beet juice (I know it's an equired taste - either you really like them or you can't stand them) but just a little raw beet juice mixed in with a glass of lemonaid for a quick and lasting burst of energy. My wife's canned candied beets are second to none... I find myself carving them come early spring shortly after - I've finished off the last jar in the winter.

Next favorite would be tomatoes and expecially beef steak tomatoes. I've been developing the ideal fried green and tomato sandwich tomato from a open pollinated beef steak. I'm currently on the 3rd generation (5th year) and just about got it where I think I'm ready to start selling bare root seedlings next year. This year's plants are consistently producing between 1 & 2 lb tomatoes and I broke my own 3lb 4 oz record this year with a 3lb 9oz and a 3lb 11 oz. I would like to see 4+ lbs tomatoes. I still have a few green ones on the vines that might top 4lbs - maybe.

Last edited:

Latest posts