Vehicle Insurance

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NC is full coverage if you have a loan. Collision is a must.
after it is minimum required.

Just look at your options for your state.

I pay full price each year. if you take the quarterly payments they tack on some extra money for that right.

I have truck, suv, horse trailer, 2--18 foot trailers, travel trailer and I dont' pay too bad for what I have insured.

But if anything had to go, it would not be car insurance and home insurance.

I would give up alot more before those things. Of course, that is all relative to why etc....

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
So are you saying it's better to hit the deer? :eek:
Sad to say, yes. Lets say you are driving down the road....a deer jumps out in front of you....you swerve to miss it and go into the ditch, or into oncoming traffic and cause a human death. Yes better to hit the deer.

But in the same line of thinking....kinda.....if you are following to closely to a car....and the car swerves to avoid say...a cement block, but you hit it and damage your car......you are not covered.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
So are you saying it's better to hit the deer? :eek:
Actually, it's better that you tell your insurance the deer hit you.

That is true, believe it or not. Been there, done that.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I guess this would go in with this, but I am having my own issues.

My license expires soon...like in less than two weeks. DH said he will get my license for me out of his next pay.

Truth is, I could care less if I got my license renewed or not. I absolutely HATE driving. I never go anywhere if I can get him to drive me instead.

I keep thinking that if I just let my license lapse, we could save the $30 odd dollars for something else that we might need.

At the same time, if I should need to drive somewhere and I don't have my license, I am stuck at home until someone is able to take me. I won't drive without a license, period.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Renew your license. Even if you dont need it--b/c someday-you NEVER know what will happen, and you will need it.

:old :frow
Yes, that is what my DH said. He said it's better that I have it just incase something goes on with one of the children and I need to take them to the doctor or something.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont know how it is in Ohio, but It is only $30 every four years....UMMMM, you are talking about dr license tight?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yes, my drivers license. Well, the tags on the van are due, too, but we took that money out this pay so we don't have it all coming at once, ya know?

My tags on the van are roughly around $35 I think and my license will be $30 or maybe $28, I don't remember. It seems they keep going up every year.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just keep it good.....Who knows, if you let it lapse and then try to get one they may require MORE testing from you.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now that I have my license, I wouldn't even think of letting them expire unless it meant not being able to feed my kids, ya know. But so far, in MS, it is I think $22 every four years.

OTOH, I can drive without a license without batting an eye. I guess it is just a cultural thing. When I was living in Baton Rouge, I mentioned to a girl that I had driven without a license and she actually GASPED IN HORROR! It's just not a big deal to us, though... or never has been in my family.

One reason, probably because so many of my family members were hell raisers and spent a good part of their early adulthood with suspended license for one reason or another. And it wouldn't have even occured to them not to drive to go to work or whatever. But we were also a lot of us late in getting our DLs to start with. My aunt Susan got her DL when she was 19 (that is pretty early for us.)

My mom got hers when she was 26 not long after getting a ticket for driving with no license. She DROVE HERSELF to the testing station and told the testing officer that if he wanted her to drive him all over town he was going to buy her some gas because she was on her way to work and didn't have much. The officer made her pull around to the back of the station, back up, and park where she started. :lol: And gave her her license!

My aunt Wanda got hers at the age of 32 after getting a ticket for driving with no license. And I managed to set the record. I got my license 3 years ago at the age of 34 (no tickets: knock on wood.) Obviously we didn't have insurance cause you can't get insurance without a license. I do have insurance now.

I just want to say that driving illegally for years makes you a VERY GOOD driver! You can't afford to screw up AT ALL cause driving without a license or insurance can turn a routine traffic stop into a going to jail offense. What caused me to go get my license in the first place was getting a job where I'd be required to run errands (go to the bank, the post office, etc.) If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have them now. LOL

Driver License are a tax and a tracking device. Having a DL doesn't make you a good driver and not having one doesn't make you a bad driver.

Cassandra

ETA: I guess I did not actually set the record now that I think about. I have been the oldest to actually get a license. But my grandmother died at the age of 67 without ever having had one.