Vehicle Insurance

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I was reading the What Would You Give Up thread and noticed mention of giving up full coverage of car insurance. This struck a chord with me because I recently got my upcoming statement on 6 months of car insurance. They raised us roughly $33. This is sneaky, because it is about $5.50 a month . . . barely noticable. They seem to have been doing this for some time (I noticed this trend when I was shredding old documents). About 6 months ago I cut all the frills and have a pretty bare-bones agreement with them.

We have one car for commuting, my car which I use about once a week for shopping/commuting, and my husband's truck which he only uses to haul stuff -- 2 times a month maybe?

Our youngest car is about 12 years old now.

My husband thinks we will all be driving around with no insurance soon, even though it's illegal.

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I was reading the What Would You Give Up thread and noticed mention of giving up full coverage of car insurance. This struck a chord with me because I recently got my upcoming statement on 6 months of car insurance. They raised us roughly $33. This is sneaky, because it is about $5.50 a month . . . barely noticable. They seem to have been doing this for some time (I noticed this trend when I was shredding old documents). About 6 months ago I cut all the frills and have a pretty bare-bones agreement with them.

We have one car for commuting, my car which I use about once a week for shopping/commuting, and my husband's truck which he only uses to haul stuff -- 2 times a month maybe?

Our youngest car is about 12 years old now.

My husband thinks we will all be driving around with no insurance soon, even though it's illegal.
I think that he's probably right, alot more people are going to be risking it, cause it's something that you dont use until you need it. It's invisible, out of sight, out of mind. Until theres some outer way to prove your car has up to date insurance on it, like a car is registered, then there will still be uninsured motorists.

Too often people consider insurance optional, and drop it as their first choice. It's also an easy way for unscrupulous people to make tons of money, when they get into an accident with someone that has decent insurance. That raises the cost of insurance for the rest of us.

If you do not have insurance and you are in an accident, you can face different financial penalties, get a ticket, suffer loss of property, etc...it depends on your states laws, the accident, etc....sometimes there are penalties on your license...it's always something to think about.

Insurance companies have us at their mercy. I need to take a look at my policies too, now that you mention it! I let them take my money out of my bank account automatically! And I have 6 vehicles and a Travel Trailer insured, so I could be being totally ripped off!

Take care, and be careful,
Tina

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It's funny because I would NEVER even CONSIDER driving without insurance. I mean that just is NOT done, right? Guess not everyone is on the same page on that one. :/

I think I'd be giving up my car first. :p

I'm thinking more along the lines of running the policy over with a fine toothed comb.

Yeah, tfpets, I'd be looking my statements over very carefully if I had auto-withdrawal. Companies must love that because they know you won't pay AS close attention. :mad:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been without full coverage for years. Make sure you hold on to some kind of coverage for deer damage...this gets a little rough! Less money for parts and repairs than a deductible, though.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Can you get special coverage for deer damage? I should really be reading my statements closer.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not sure but I used to have liability with a clause for deer damage, but now unable to get it.....GRRRRRR! :mad:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, we can't get earthquake insurance anymore, so go figure. Why do we pay these people again?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wisconsin does not require you to carry insurance.

In the begining of our marriage we had to carry a minimum ins on our vehicle. Keep in mind this is for Michigan OK?

You can get PLPD (personal libility, personal damage) that is the minimum you have to carry here

you can carry plpd and pick up COMP...(NO I dont know what that stands for)
comp covers acts of god and vandalism (car deer accidents are acts of god, but you hitting a tree while avoiding the deer is not an act of god)

then there are different full coverage options.

My daughter has been in iowa, she said the options are the same.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
So are you saying it's better to hit the deer? :eek:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
In Canada at least--dunno about anywhere else, if you have a loan on your car, you need to have full insurance. Once the loan is paid, you can have minimun-- (plpd), which is what we'v been doing for over 12 years. Also, gt the highst deductibles as possible on your insurance--that usually saves you some too.