Verticle Gardening

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My sister bought some pole beans to put on a panel DH set up on our boundry line, but I don't know what kind. I still have blue runner bush from last year and I bought some heirloom blue runner from Baker Creek, before knowing that DH would be setting up our garden different. I have 3 tractor tires planted in bush beans now and plan on doing that 3 X's this year, at least. I may have to place another order from Baker Creek and I appreciate the advice. I feel I need to plant all my bush beans and then maybe say, I"m finished with them and go on from there having nothing but pole beans. My tractor tires have 3inch bean plants now. I figure by the time others are planting their beans, I might be harvesting.....or close to it. We got a really early start this year. I'm so bummed out that I'm on my work week. Things look so nice, I'm tempted to share a pic soon.
Momma would be having a blast with me right now.....j/s
I think I can probably plant some greenbeans in with the tomatoes, to fill the space up and by the time the tomatoes are big, I'll have gotten what I want from the beans and can pull them out. Will speak with DH about that.
I've got to crack down on my dogs. We've been having to chase them out of the beds. The big dog is too good at getting out of his hornice and away from his run.
If I wasn't so sleep deprived, I could have done more playing outside today. DH and DS have set up some mini beds near the cattle panels with some old fireplace bricks we had in our old family log cabin from when I was a kid.....had forgotten I had those. I wish I had gone in the duck/goose pen to get some of the topsoil I had bought 2 years ago and still have. Could have some soil for planting, just waiting for a few seeds now. Tomorrow is another day.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
As soon as this arctic cold snap is over here I plan on planting the first bush beans. Just a matter of time..... ;)

Rhoda, the year I lost my Uncle David, as soon as the first sprouts came up I was missing him so bad!! He used to call and tell me when to plant things, and as long as I followed his schedule, things went well. He taught me most of what I know about gardening. We went and cut stakes together for his green beans and tomatoes. I helped him get his garden in since he was disabled. He was a plethora of information, and those memories seem to stick with a person. Not a seed gets planted that I don't think of him, and it has been almost 10 years now..he was my garden partner :) Sometimes when tending the garden it seems like he's right there looking over my shoulder bossing...telling me what to do still :lol: What a blessed heritage to have!!! :hugs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH and I must have the most haunted garden in Louisiana between all the late gardeners we have in our lineage. Lots of traditional gardeners, but Momma was the smart gardener. She subscribed to all the monthly publications she could. I think she memorized some of the articles. She learned easier ways to garden that Grandpa never would have thought of and it was cute and she was ALWAYS smiling when she was in her garden. She taught me a few things, but mostly what I learned was from reading all her magazines as a teenager. They made gardening look so cool. She was smart enough that I think she could trick me into learning some good stuff, without me realizing she was behind it.
But believe me, there were other gardens, with long, hilly rows. The potatoes I have dug.....omg. If Grandpa knew some of the stuff Momma learned from reading all those more modern gardening magazines, God only knows how much he could have produced.
Believe me, Cindi, I completely understand.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think one of my garden favorites is the old-fashioned speckled butterbean. We pick them fresh, not dried on the vine. We shell and cook them fresh. Simmered with onions and a ham hock or smoked pork neck, they are so good. I've even been known to add a little rotel. Love garlic, but don't like garlic in the butterbeans. The leftovers freeze quite well. Daddy grew them on poles in a tripod (almost burst into tears when I opened the garden shed and saw the old poles all lined up), but my husband stretches about 6' of hog wire between tall metal fence posts. He easily pulls up the posts and moves them to new places in the garden each year for rotation.

Our gardens aren't haunted, but I sure feel Daddy's presence out there.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think that's a lot of the reason i continue to garden after SO MANY failures :lol: I love the nostalgia it creates as much as the obvious benefits. My family always had a garden as a kid, but all I got to do there was hoe the rows, and pick, dig, and till, in the blistering summer sun. They never taught me anything or showed me anything about when to plant or whatever. I have my Grandma to thank for a lot of the learning, and Uncle David picked up where she left off when she got arthritis too bad to teach me anymore. Lots of folks in my gardening memory though :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Momma always spoke of the speckled limas. It was because her grandparents grew them and she loved her grands bigtime. I ordered some, which I thought were what she liked, but I got it wrong.
I remember when we were first putting up a fence around our yard. She said that if she had a fenced in yard, she would have planted all along the fence because she could make an easy garden like that. So here I am.....like 20 years after the fact. Well, I can't plant all along the fence because the goats, geese and chickens will like it too much, but we are setting up fences that don't need to be up for the sole purpose of vining some plants up on.
Can't say that we haven't ever done any verticle planting in the past, but DH is really maximising on it now.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have found images on pinterest regarding vertical gardening and it is so cool as it uses soda bottles as well as other cool containers in planting.

a1ff922a9f7c0899d77e137957e86ad5.jpg

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well that is interesting. Reminds me of a used gutter project I once saw somewhere. Someone plastered an entire wall with gutters, used as planters.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Indeed, it so cool. I have also saw another cool containers in gardening.
cf6c8f005380904b8bf18074d4933b58.jpg