VickiLynn - Finding The Balance

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The chickens are finally in their new coop - and none-too soon, since the eggs are coming regularly now. And because we'll be gone this weekend and it will be easier for the neighbors to take care of them. It felt so good to be able to leave eggs off my last shopping list.

Last week I canned 8 quarts of peaches, and made some peach pit jelly. I've discovered a spoonful of the jelly is very good in my morning yogurt! I've been too busy with work to do any other canning, so have been tossing my tomatoes in the freezer as they ripen. I wanted to dehydrate some of them, but not sure if that will work after they have been frozen.

It's raining today. I'm hoping it stops by tonight, since we have tickets for the Beach Boys concert at the fair.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apples Everywhere!!!

Two of our trees are very productive this year, and the apples are ripe now. So I've been busy freezing and dehydrating slices, canning applesauce, making jams, and a couple of pies. Today I decided to try my hand at making apple cider vinegar. There's a thread here on SS about making ACV, and I read through the whole thing (twice), then I started the process.

I quartered and cored the apples and tossed them into the blender with a little bit of water. I ran it on the ice-crushing setting and it ground them up pretty well. I dumped three blender-loads into a colander lined with cheesecloth, sitting over a pan. It's been dripping for a couple of hours - looks like about 2 quarts so far. I'm not sure how long I'm supposed to let it drip, but I'm leaving it overnight.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The End of Summer

Were expecting a hard frost this week, so the growing season is winding down. Except for a few carrots and potatoes that need to be dug, the garden is finished. The trees are turning the most beautiful fall colors, and I see birds gathering for their trip south. As I think back over the summer, I am amazed at all I have learned and done with the help of SS.

I am so thankful for this site and to everyone here who is helping me become more self-sufficient. I could never have come this far without your support.

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm in awe. Perhaps there is hope for me as well.

I am another Victoria Lynn (aka Vicki, except to my granny who calls me
Tori-Lynn for reasons that remain a mystery).

I'm loving this site. Thanks for the inspiration and tips!

VickiLynn said:
The End of Summer

Were expecting a hard frost this week, so the growing season is winding down. Except for a few carrots and potatoes that need to be dug, the garden is finished. The trees are turning the most beautiful fall colors, and I see birds gathering for their trip south. As I think back over the summer, I am amazed at all I have learned and done with the help of SS.

*The baby chicks we ordered last spring are now full-grown chickens, giving us eggs!

*The extra lawn space we added to the garden has produced well.

*The canner I ordered and was so afraid of has become a useful tool. I have jars of tomato juice, salsa, applesauce, potatoes, peaches, and jams on shelves in the basement.

*Im currently making apple cider vinegar and it seems to be working!

*Im also making homemade vanilla extract to give as Christmas gifts.

*Im baking all of our bread.

*I'm making my own stock.

*Im making pretty-much all of our meals from scratch.

*DS is actually starting to like my home cooking better than convenience foods.

*Im managing to do all this while holding down a full time job mainly because Ive learned to plan ahead!

I am so thankful for this site and to everyone here who is helping me become more self-sufficient. I could never have come this far without your support.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Annette, we got around 4" of rain. I have to cross the Little Eau Pleine to get to work, and the river was level with the bridge, and lapping up on it in some places. Kind-of a spooky feeling driving over that.

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Annette, we got around 4" of rain. I have to cross the Little Eau Pleine to get to work, and the river was level with the bridge, and lapping up on it in some places. Kind-of a spooky feeling driving over that.
Our gauge read just over 5 inches. We are just north of the Little Eau Pleine, but the river didn't get as close to the bridge as it did 5 or so years ago when the bridge was covered. The steam out back resembled the Little Eau Pleine. It washed out a foot bridge that was across the stream. I took a bunch of pictures, I'll have to post some time.

You did a great job on your garden and with the chicks. Hopefully we will still be living here and we may be getting chicken raising advice from you. I didn't do a thing with our garden. At the beginning of the season we almost moved to Connecticut. Now Roy's job is going away, so I don't know where we will end up.

Annette