Vinegar Mother - RECEIVED. Thank you!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I would like some please! Can anyone share? (Instructions too, please!)

I'll buy or barter.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I can send you some- it started out as AC vinegar mother, but I have been growing it in wine to make wine vinegar. I can send you a canning jar with it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You probably should wait a bit as it will sit in an airplane hold in this heat for who-knows-how-long. Or send it with an ice pack, well insulated, overnight. The heat will kill it.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is a mother really needed. If my memory serves me correctly when I was a kid my grandfather made an outstanding batch of rhubarb wine and from the way my grandma described it the best batch of apple/rhubarb vinegar she has ever used.

Now having some wine making experience I know it is very important to keep out any airborne contaminants and yeast and it would be my guess that grandpa may have ended up with some intruders in his hooch. Is that all it takes?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
White vinegar is a grain product, not sure you can make it at home. Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I would like more info on it!

Any wine mother will do, doesn't really matter what you put it in. And yes, it will become vinegar if allowed to be exposed to the air long enough. A mother will speed it up, as will maximum exposure to air, as in keeping it in a wide-mouth container as opposed to a narrow-necked wine bottle.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
freemotion said:
White vinegar is a grain product, not sure you can make it at home. Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I would like more info on it!

Any wine mother will do, doesn't really matter what you put it in. And yes, it will become vinegar if allowed to be exposed to the air long enough. A mother will speed it up, as will maximum exposure to air, as in keeping it in a wide-mouth container as opposed to a narrow-necked wine bottle.
Wow! I didn't know that? So I would be making ACV? How is that for cleaning?

... wanders off to Google ...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
White vinegar is "harsher" but ACV cleans just fine, I've used it. You can also strain some older, vinegary kombucha and clean with that.

You can make vinegar with any wine. I thought it would be fun to make a little vinegar from my upcoming wine obsession batches and experiment with different flavors for salad dressings, marinades, stews, etc.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, if I put some red wine on the counter (using wide mouth jar and cloth cover) it will turn into red wine vinegar and not some spoiled mass? If I steal from the vinegar I have, how much mother should I add to speed the process?

I LOVE this forum and all of you smart people out there!!!