Vitamin D Light

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been under the weather for about a month and a half. I got pneumonia about four weeks ago (4th time for me), and I think that it left me with pleurisy. I carry a chest pain that a real hummer sometimes. Since my energy level is in the tank and has been for weeks, the doctor ran some tests and found out that I was deficient in vitamin D. So - I'm wondering if there is any general lighting besides plain old florescent out there that I could put in some areas of the house in order to pick up some "D"? We use florescent lighting throughout the house anyway so I have that covered. I'm told that it puts out a little "D" along the way.

I have looked around on the net some and found some home UV lights for $230 dollars or so. Might have to break into the wife's egg money for that one.

Oh, BTW, Saturday I came down with this terrible flu. It has hung on until the present, but I'm getting better. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the H1N1. I'm told that they don't even check for it around here anymore, because the treatment for it is like any other flu so it's a guess, but boy is it a doozy!

Any ideas on the pleurisy?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Check on a good full spectrum grow light. Garden supply companies have them. The price will be much less.

You could also take some cod liver oil. It's available in softgels theses days and is a source for vitamin D. Make sure the label says either "distilled" or "pharmaceutical grade" so you get the good quality. You might need to go to a health food store for it or check vitacost if there aren't any near you.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Not sure about the lights, but didn't your dr suggest Vitamin D supplements?
How about good old sunshine?

I have a full spectrum Fluorescent light but it makes no claims about Vitamin D. Just prevents Seasonal Affect Disorder.

I hope you are feeling better, Tallman!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The lights that help your body generate vitamin d HAVE to be UVB lights. I know they make them for reptiles, but I hear the people sized ones are expensive. The easiest and cheapest ways to fight a vitamin D deficiency are...

1. Sun bathe naked. Seriously.
2. Liquid vitamin D3 drops from Carlson....about $14/bottle at vitamin cottage.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The lights that help your body generate vitamin d HAVE to be UVB lights. I know they make them for reptiles, but I hear the people sized ones are expensive. The easiest and cheapest ways to fight a vitamin D deficiency are...

This is about what I was coming up with; however, I didn't know about Carlson. I'll check it out. Thanks a bunch.

Dragon & Sylvie, thanks for your input.

Do any of you know anything about fighting pleurisy? I read that it is a viral infection that antibiotics will not stop. Waddaya think?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Here is the exact product I buy...

Carlson-Vitamin-D-Drops

Normal dosage for an average guy is 3 drops per day when you can't get full body sun exposure. If you are older, sick, or over weight, you may need more. Unfortunately a blood test is the only way to check your levels.

When you are ill, the gurus usually recommend 10,000 IU - 20,000 IU (5 - 10 drops) a day until symptoms subside and then you go back to your maintenance dose.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Here is the exact product I buy...

http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-Vitamin-D-Drops

Normal dosage for an average guy is 3 drops per day when you can't get full body sun exposure. If you are older, sick, or over weight, you may need more. Unfortunately a blood test is the only way to check your levels.

When you are ill, the gurus usually recommend 10,000 IU - 20,000 IU (5 - 10 drops) a day until symptoms subside and then you go back to your maintenance dose.
My doc put me on a gel capsule to be taken once a week. The label doesn't even say how manny IU it is!

10,000 to 20,000 seems like a lot. Is there a chance to get too much?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
It takes infants months to show signs of vitamin D toxicity at doses of 40,000 IU/day.

While it can happen, the odds are very low and the fear of D overdose is WAY overblown.

Is the stuff you have D2 or D3. Unfortunately D2 is often in the prescribed version and it is total crap.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
50,000iu weekly for 8 weeks is the recommended Treatment for low vit D levels, This dose can safely be taken for up to 12 weeks without need for any lab work. If this dose is for longer your Physician should do lab work. Once your Vitamin D level is in normal range a maintenence dose of 50, 000iu Monthly will keep it there. Monthly dose Vit D Prescription is on the $4.00 list at Walmart, Kmart, etc... Some people choose to purchase and take a daily supplement. I prefer one little pill once per month.

Low vitamin D levels are now epidemic, Everyone should ask their Physician to check this level. Vitamin D deficieny is being linked as a contributor to the development of several diseases including MS.

Forget the light bulb therapy. The only effective bulb for Vitamin D is the one God turns on every morning.

D2 is usually the prescription-form-It is effective,(D2 doubled my vit D level)Although D3 is the more absorbable form. If you are purchasing a supplement on your own try to find D3.

Reaction score
Wifezilla said:

So should you lay on your stomach or your back? I was thinking stomach for maximum sq footage exposure.