Vitamin D...very important to the body

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
keljonma said:
MorelCabin said:
keljonma said:
Great information, Morel. I've copied it to my documents.

I found this in a book when I was researching alternate medicine chest items for my chicken flock's health.
This is interesting...lanolin.
I use Food Grade Lanolin (NOW label) that I get at the health food store.

It comes from sheep, ya know. ;) :D
So...I can just lick my sheep! :) :thumbsup :lol:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
THAT'S where I've heard of lanolin, it is often in skein creams, right? I am going to check out the health food store and see what they have...research:>)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sheep will shed their wool....wonder if one could then boil it down and skim the lanolin from the water? Hair sheep don't have as much lanolin as other breeds but I'm sure there is some.

My folks have long preached this whole throw away the sunscreen sermon to other people, but that message has been too deeply ingrained by the ACS and the media. They have some info also on doing without sunglasses, as some Vit. D production is conducted there as well. Anyone know anything about that?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Just found mine...
Lansinoh Brand Lanolin. It is in a light purple blottle with a purple lid. Walmart has it. It is in the baby section with the breastfeeding equipment.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Lansinoh is expensive (compared to vaseline anyhow!) but it is GREAT stuff... I used it for cracked nipples when both kids were newborns and just learning to breastfeed (too much information? :p) and it is terrific for hands, etc as well. However too expensive for me to keep sitting around, now that my free samples have long since run out :p

Does the *body* actually produce vit D from lanolin, or is it just that's an industrial source for making it?

Pat

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Here is the number and website on the side of my bottle....maybe they will send you some free samples. A little goes a long way with this.
1-800-292-4794
www.lansinoh.com

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
:bun All I know is that between Vitamin D and progesteron creme...I AM WOMAN :bun

And what will happen if I add lanolin to that mix?? Whooo hooo!

LOL!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Does the *body* actually produce vit D from lanolin, or is it just that's an industrial source for making it?
Pat
Pat, as far as I know and have read, lanolin is often used to produce Vitamin D3; so definitely an industrial source for making it. I have never seen anything to suggest that the use of lanolin would help the body produce Vit D.

The 4 oz bottle I bought of liquid lanolin is a year old and 3/4s full. Obviously, I'm not using it all the time. It is very thick, a little goes a real long way, and I love it for cracked heels. I also used it the first winter with chickens, but my flock hasn't had frostbite issues, so I stopped doing that even as preventitive. I don't use vasoline (or knock offs) because I am trying to avoid petroleum products.