Vitamin D...very important to the body

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks for the Vitamin D autism link! I just forwarded on to a friend of mine!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I actually just hopped on this bandwagon this winter after long research and deliberation. We get milk from a family farm, no supplementation, and have very few fortified foods. Living in WI, our sun exposure in winter is minimal, although we spend about an hour outside each day. So, we're doing the drops. The family has been quite healthy with the exception of 1 cold, so.... so far, so good (knock on wood!) I was hoping I wouldn't get my usual winter crabbiness, but I'm afraid it has snuck up on me yet again... Anyway, thanks for the info!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pam, if the D theory is correct, autism is ridiculously easy to prevent. If it is wrong, no harm done.

Wish I would have known about this 19 years ago when my youngest was born. He is low functioning autistic. We just recently started giving him D and fish oil, but since he is already an adult, it is unlikely there will be much change.

As for how taking D has effected me, I starting taking 2000 IU last January. When Spring hit, I noticed that I did NOT burn unless I was outside for over 2 hours at a time in direct sun. Even then it was just me getting a little pink. Prior to taking D, it would burn within 10 minutes even with high spf sun screen. I no longer use sun screen, but still try to avoid burning and use a zinc lotion if I am going to be out all day.

When your body is depleted of vitamin D, it lets in every single sun ray trying to get your D stores filled back up. Hence the frying. When your blood level is D is fine, your skin will tan to try and reduce the incoming D levels since you already have what you need.

Many people still associate sun exposure with cancer, but several recent studies show that a lack of D is a bigger risk for cancer than being in the sun. As for the wrinkle problem, if you are not eating a diet high in carbohydrates, it isn't something you need to worry about. If you do eat a lot of carbohydrates, you are depleting your body of vitamin C, which is what your body uses to repair sun damage, as well as creating advanced glycogen end products (AGEs). AGES mess with your natural proteins and change your collagen. http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/diet.fitness/11/01/hfh.sugar.skin/

So skip the sugar, skip the grains and starches, skip the sun screen, and go outside :D