waffles

ronikins

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
my sis gave me her waffle iron. i think it makes 2 at a time. i've used it maybe twice. both times, the waffles were yuck. not sure if i used crappy recipes. i usually end up just buying the frozen ones. soooo much easier. maybe i'll find a good recipes on allrecipes.com and try again. but i'm the only one that likes them. hubby doesn't like waffles or pancakes too much. he's all about the bacon and eggs!!

i say, get another one! he loves you and, imo, that's reason enough for me to make what my husband wants. plus, mine's the worker and i'm the housewife. cooking is one of the few things that i enjoy doing for him!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ronikins said:
my sis gave me her waffle iron. i think it makes 2 at a time. i've used it maybe twice. both times, the waffles were yuck. not sure if i used crappy recipes. i usually end up just buying the frozen ones. soooo much easier. maybe i'll find a good recipes on allrecipes.com and try again. but i'm the only one that likes them. hubby doesn't like waffles or pancakes too much. he's all about the bacon and eggs!!

i say, get another one! he loves you and, imo, that's reason enough for me to make what my husband wants. plus, mine's the worker and i'm the housewife. cooking is one of the few things that i enjoy doing for him!
I use the recipe from Good Eats and the family loves it.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a cast iron waffle iron and love the thing. It works much better than any electric waffle maker I have ever had. Hubby prefers waffles because of the crispiness.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... y'all made me hungry. Going to do up a bunch tomarow if all goes well.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My hubby likes his pancakes or waffles with peanut butter on them also... He is from Kansas me born and raised Texan.. all I had ever put on my wallfles or pancakes was margarine/or butter, and either cinnamon and sugar and syrup, or fruit.. It took some getting used to him wanting peanut butter on them.. I tried it one day and it was good !!!... His brother does the same thing even when we do go to I Hop the waitress there has a container of peanut butter on hand.. So a lot of people must like peanut butter on their waffles or pancakes.. Now my husband thinks i'm nuts because I like butter, honey , peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every so often. LOL... Hmm haven't had one of those in at least a year...

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A waffle iron is like anything else, make a point of using it for a while, then you enjoy it and look forward to it. I can't believe you had one in your closet for so long and didn't use it. Man, I would have had that sucker out for a visit--at dinner time. That is when mine gets used, breakfast for dinner! Yumm! I don't do cooked breakfast around here. No time. It's toast or cereal all the way, baby! Unfortunately, most waffle recipes are really fussy. You have to separate the eggs, whip the whites, fold them in, etc. A big pain! The following recipe is our favorite. I've made it for years. In fact, when the kids were tiny, I would leave the leftovers spread out on the counter and let them dry. They made wonderful, healthy teething biscuits.

PUMPKIN WAFFLES

2 cups flour (I use fresh ground whole wheat, but white works fine)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree (frozen or canned is fine)
1/2 cup oil (1/4 cup is also OK)

Stir all ingredients together-a wire whip works well. Pour onto hot, oiled waffle iron. Bake til desired crispness.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sounds yummy! I just might have to try that. :drool

piecemaker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Used mine the other day to make waffle brownies. Cooked so they were crispy then colded them in an ice cream bowl and topped them with ice cream. Yummy Yummy

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This thread is too funny! LMAO!

We also make pancakes and waffles en masse and freeze them. It makes for good breakfasts that are fast and different whilst working... or lazy! We use our waffle maker a few times a year, but I think it's worth it. I put them in the microwave just enough to defrost, then toast. Yum!

Sister in law got us a waffle cone maker for christmas. Now THAT is a useless thing. The SS part of me was like "REALLY?! I can't just eat it out of a bowl once a year?!"

I have a great pancake recipe if anyone wants it, though it does call for cake flour. We love our baked goods and a seriously stocked kitchen here. ;)

Trucker Bob

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Found an old stove top waffle maker in an antique store in Nebraska... Didn't buy it till I had an insane dream of fluffy, golden brown waffles a thousand miles from home. Next time I slipped through that area, I bought it, along with an amazing kerosene lamp.

Surprised my little lady with waffles and blueberries the next time I came home ;)