wall pot rack

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hmmmm... totally might have to try that! What kind of oil do you usually fry them in?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peanut oil usually- the flavor is not obtrusive and we are not allergic to it. But any mild oil with a smoke point of 350 or so would be enough, I hear rice bran oil is good

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am going to use a section of cattle panel for a pot rack.
I wanted to use an old window that had 4 little squares of glass ..missing the glass. DH said it was going to be such a pain in the butt to beef it up enough to hold skillets and pans, then gave me 'the look'. He'd do it if I pushed, but the cattle panel might be faster.

hqueen13

Reaction score
I'd love to see pictures, Mariann! I love the sound of it. Your right, though the castle panel is probably better than the window. I saw some shutters at a consignment so but I think that would be the same problem as a window...

hqueen13

Reaction score
JBrown, Thanks for the suggestion but I can't Do anything overhead because my ceiling is only 7'.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Paul Wheaton has a great page on seasoning cast iron. I'll post it on another thread. (I guess I can't post the link, it won't copy/paste on the new thread)

Just a suggestion, when you're dealing with remodel, you might want to consider getting some kind of vent in that kitchen. Small rooms can really be humid when you're cooking and doing dishes - not so good for the walls. Is that possibly a reason why your cast iron isn't keeping the seasoning on?

When I can get hubs to do the pot rack, I'll post a pic here. I still love the window frame idea. It'd work for colanders, ladles, baskets, that kind of stuff, but I'm trying to do more with less stuff. HA!!

Last edited:

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Julia Child used peg board. Sounds tacky but if you paint it, it's not bad. Mainly you see the pots and pans, so the peg board doesn't really draw your attention.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BTW, I've been wanting a pot rack for some time and come to the conclusion that I just need to put stuff away when I'm done. It's more work and trouble but the result is worth it. For example, I have a huge pressure canner. I like to have it close at hand but the reality is that I can fetch it from the garage when I need it. I just don't use it frequently enough to justify the amount of space it takes up in the kitchen.

Latest posts