Walnut syrup. mmmmmm good!

digsDirt

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We looked at ordering spiles, but were not patient enough to wait. :p We used sections of half inch pex. Cut a notch in the top so that you can hang a milk jug from it. They work really well and a five foot piece of pex is about $2. and made 10 taps.

kabri

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I wonder if we could tap our alder trees? They are related to birch, anyone ever try alder syrup?

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't tried Alder, we have tried Birch, very yummy!

Spruce sap makes a good gum. :)

cuallaidh

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As a mead brewer, I've been thinking of fermenting some maple sap that's been boiled down a bit (somewhere between straight sap and syrup), would be interesting to try walnut as well :D..... damn... not another project ;)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pine sap may not be good for syrup, but it makes a WONDERFUL incense! Also, pine resin is what is used to flavor Retsina wine.

For people in the south, y'all could try making sorghum syrup. In fact I remember reading about an old Yankee gentleman that would make up a bunch of maple syrup every year, then take it in to the general store and trade it straight across for sorghum syrup. :) I guess we always want what we can't have.

We usually just make fruit syrups...