Walnut syrup. mmmmmm good!

Sun and Sky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Evergreens are too resinous. SOme are even poisonous (like the yew I think). Use their pitch for sealing holes in your boats, or whatever, but not for syrup. :p
Oh yes, boil evergreen sap and you get glue! boil it too long and let it cool down and you've got a block of solid resin o_O

And yew is definitely dangerous! Sap, needles, bark, berries...all bad!

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for this topic just ordered my taps I have 2 black walnuts and a red or sugar maple on my land. I can't wait!!!

OzawkieBantams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
beerman said:
Thanks for this topic just ordered my taps I have 2 black walnuts and a red or sugar maple on my land. I can't wait!!!
Who did you order from of you dont mind me asking.
I plan to get a few more taps my self. The syrup didnt last long....lol
i am gonna tap my hickory today.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
beerman said:
Check with ag or forestry sources about black walnut. Black walnut trees produce a toxic substance which makes it difficult for other plants to grow near it. Don't know if the sap would have any toxic effects especially when you concentrate it by boiling.

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ordered my taps from Ebay, I looked at the store link that was posted on here and they were on backorder.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So how do you know if the sap is boiled down enough? Just guess based on the ratio that it should be? Dip your finger in it and see if it's syrupy-looking?!

OzawkieBantams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
raro said:
So how do you know if the sap is boiled down enough? Just guess based on the ratio that it should be? Dip your finger in it and see if it's syrupy-looking?!
You boil it down to an oily substance.
WARNING:
once you get to a certin point it will evaporate very quickly so keep a eye on it, because you will burn it up.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sigh. Yeah. I just found that out the hard way. Drat.