Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just thought I would start one of these to post my thought and ideas.

Some general info -

I live in Idaho on almost two acres with my wonderful dh and three terrific kids. Our ds is 14 and we have two dds who are 8 and 5. I homeschool the two oldest and the youngest attends the special developmental preschool in town. She is a survivor of Rett Syndrome, which may have destroyed her body but not her spirit. She is the funniest little thing ever and completely non-verbal but you can definitely tell what she is thinking through those eyes of her and sometimes I don't think you want to know what she is thinking.:D She also has no hand function and is not able to do much but on the other hand what she can do is a blessing. Everything I took for granted with my two oldest is a blessing with her.

We have 3 dwarf nigerians goats, two does and a wether, 9 ducks, 50 some chickens, I have lost count, between the hens and all the different size chicks I give up counting, two big golden labs, one is mixed with chow, the other pure, two farm and cuddle cats, one hamster and one rabbit.

I love to cross stitch, garden, making bread ( this is a newly discovered favorite), being outside camping or working in the yard, and being self sufficient as possible. It is sad but in our case, we will never probably be totaly self sufficient because dh is disabled and both him and youngest dd collects Social Security. Also youngest dd medical expenses are so huge that she also gets State Insurance. I, however, can do everything else in my power to get us as close as possible to being self sufficient. I quit my job last August to stay home with dd and that has been a huge change but I am loving it. I feel like I am not pulling my weight some days but then I realize I truly feel like I am where God wants me to be.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's all that matters, Home. All that matters. Its not a race and success in this world is not measured by your wage or what you have....not even with how SS one can become. Its measured, IMO, by how closely we can be just where we are supposed to be at any given time in our life. If it feels right and you are happy, well....that is better than all the riches man can obtain! :) :thumbsup

I will be awaiting the next installment to your journal as it should be interesting to follow! :pop

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, today I made homemade dog bones, three loaves of jalepeno cheese bread and homemade laundry soap. I looked around and there was homeschooling material all over, the kids had left the musical instruments out and I was laughing. My home is fairly organized and clean but today was one of those days where it all went out the window and I started laughing. The kids were happy and not fighting, that's a first, and I thought "Lord thank you for everything I have, I am truly beyond blessed.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Punkin, I don't rock, just ask my 14 yr old ds who is really mad at me right now. :) I love reading about your greenhouse that is so cool.

I just keep posting in this journal, I guess I have alot inside me waiting to come out. The rain stopped and the sun came out so I ran outside really fast and planted my tomatos. I ordered tomatoes from a seed company, they sent them twice, both times DOA. The company was super nice with great customer service but the last time I told them I just want a refund. Then last night I spotted a man with a sign that read tomatos and pepper plants $2. I stopped and they were beautiful plants and it was 2 plants for $3. I purchased from him, it was great! The plants are beautiful and I gave my money to a local supplier.

My garden now consists of a strawberry bed, potatoes, peas, garlic, bush beans, radishes, lettuce, green onion, purple onions, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, beets and cucumbers. I still need to plant the peppers and pumpkins. I also have cilantro and oregando (sp) down there. We have a terrific raspberry patch and this year I will be home, not at work, to put all of this up and can and freeze. I am so looking forward to it.

I love reading all the journals on here and I keep skipping around, I need to just sit down and read one per day. Super good stuff in there!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Hi Homesteadmomma! I am enjoying your journal...I need to remember to laugh when my kids leave their school supplies out and don't put them back. Most days I'm running to finish all the chores, so I get easily frustrated if I have to pick up after them, too.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You sure sound like you have all your ducks in a row. I think by the sound of things you are right where you need to be. Welcome and I look forward to hearing about your adventures. :frow

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail - I am also frustrated most days with the homeschooling mess - today was just one of those days when everything seemed right with the world. :)

Tanks - Thank you for the welcome!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I don't know where I am going to put everything when I start homeschooling my kids. They are only 4 and 2 right now but I dread any more mess in the house!