Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When our kids were very young, one of the local schools had an auction to get rid of some of equipment. We got two of those one piece chair/wth desk with lifting top for $10. They were metal and just needed a scrub and a paint job. Our kids used them through public elementary school for school homework and projects, and school library books.

But my dd, who does homeschool her two oldest decided to go with 4' high metal school lockers. Each child has their own and dd let each paint their own in the color they chose. She got them from a school auction when that was closing. The kids have to put their work in the locker when they are done for the day. DD stacked some office paper trays or cubicles (I can't remember which) in the bottom of the locker so the kids have more storage space.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the locker storage idea, how great is that.

I am so tired, I feel asleep on the couch with my mom here tonight. She kept telling me to go to bed, but I didn't want to be rude so I just fell asleep on the couch instead. :p She had bug-bombed her house and couldn't go home for four hours. I was / still am so tired. We had our year end picnic today for homeschooling, lots of kids, it was great! My dd had a great time meeting more kids and playing.

The garden is almost all in, finished planting the corn today. The pumpkins, cucumbers and beans are all sprouted on my kitchen table. It is so much fun to have plant starts and watching the little sprout pop up. Candled my duck eggs today and out of 15 eggs, definitely life in 14 of them and the fifteen one could be. It is only day 6, so I am very happy with what I saw. I already have 10 ducklings sold, so hoping this hatch is success, although don't like to count my eggs before they hatch.

Cleaned house today and will clean more tomorrow. Dh and ds is gone, I hate being at home by myself at night, I am fine until bedtime. Tonight though I am so tired I don't think I will stay awake long enough for it to bug me.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today was eventful in good ways, I got to visit with my aunt from Montana and she brought me grandma out with her. Grandma lives about 8 miles away in assisted living so usually we visit her there. Then we went to supper with dh's side of the family. Havent seen his brother and his family in about six years so that was nice. There is tension between my dh and his brother so it is always so awkward but dh was gone tonight so it was okay.

I have five trays of apples dehydrating and then will be doing another five trays when they are done. Purchased two cords of wood today for a great price, $115 per cord delivered, split and stacked. We used to go get our own but with dh's back disabled that is out of the question now.

Had the goats on their lead lines today to eat brush and grass and they are doing an awesome job. It was so hard last year to keep it all weed-eated and dh can't do it so I always having to do it or hire somebody. DS could do it now but here the goats are great.

It FINALLY stopped raining and I got the laundry caught up. I am trying so hard to cut our electric bill down. My aunt told me about a black box you attaced to side of your house and it is suppose to warm air and circulate warm air to your house and take the cold air out of the house. It sounds really interesting.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I am tired! Have enough for 14 pints of orange lemon marmalade in the stock pot, letting it sit for another 15 hours and then will finish it up. Also hand squeezed lemons to get 3 C. of juice. The lemons and oranges were given to us by a relative from California and we used what we could but I didn't want the rest to waste so hand squeezed them and now have fresh frozen lemon juice for lemon merguine pie. My dh and ds's favorite. Have another five trays of apples in the dehydrator so that is good because the kids are eating the ones I did already. I told them we have fresh apples but no, they want the dehydrated ones.

I have 8 dozen eggs in the frig, need to find homes for them tomorrow and need to put the money back in chicken feed. I am so hoping that somebody willl take them.

Off to bed! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You sure have been busy! Lemon Meringue is one of my favorites, too.

If you don't find a home for all those eggs, you could use 10 of them to make some angel food cake with fresh lemon curd.

Angel Food Cake with Fresh Lemon Curd

10 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted

Preheat the oven to 375 F

Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites on medium speed with the cream of tartar and the salt until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour the batter into an ungreased angel food cake pan.

Bake until golden brown and springy when touched, 30 to 35 minutes. (The top of the cake may crack a little.) Remove the pan from the oven and turn it upside down over the neck of a bottle. Let cool completely.

Remove the cake from the pan slice horizontally into three layers. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Spoon half of the curd over the cake. Lay the middle layer on top of the curd. Repeat with the remaining curd and top with the last layer of cake. Set aside. Serve with fresh berries.

Fresh Lemon Curd
4 to 6 medium fresh lemons
6 large egg yolks
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 tablespoons butter, cold

Zest all of the lemons and set aside. Juice the zested lemons and strain the juice, you should get about 3/4 cups of juice.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice. Pour the mixture into a non-reactive saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and pour into a glass bowl. Stir in the butter, one tablespoon at a time. Cool to room temperature.
Yields: about 2 1/2 cups

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I LOVE homemade lemon curd!!!!!! :drool

I am a Montessori teacher and always taught "Montessori in the home" classes to parents.

In 2004 I almost started my own tiny Montessori homeschool for my daughter, another 2 children and my best friend's son. It sadly didn't work out, zoneing issues etc. (I couldn't afford to stay at home with no salary at that time.)

Anyway, the stuff issue, boy, it will always be a never ending battle wont it?! :barnie The rule at school was put it away before you get something else out and it is the same at home right? Yeah whatever!! It is fine until a best friend comes over, then the bomb goes off in her room and the mess spills out into the whole house!!

I hope you get some rest!! You sound beat!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Welcome!

A lab and chow mix? Do you have a picture? We have a black lab/chow mix, when people hear it they never believe it, and I haven't seen another yet..

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'd better not tell my DH about your orange marmalade. If I do, you will hear a knock at your door. :gig

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't been posting for awhile, 5 days, 5 different doctor appointments all in the next town which is 80 miles round trip. I am tired. Ended up with ds in the ER at 11 pm on Wednesday as he was all broke out and told me his throat was tight and hard to swallow. He has a very bad case of hives and is still broke out everywhere. Littlest dd had a bad seizure at the pool yesterday for her water therapy so we have upped her meds and now she is trying to adjust to the change.

Punkin, my orage marmalade never sat up, I was so bummed but it is very good as syrup for pancakes, waffles and french toast. Your husband could use for that and I would share. :D

Amos, this is a new computer and I need to figure out how to post pics but the vet told us he is a golden lab / chow mix. He has the chow tail and the dark patches on his tongue but has a lot of lab features also. I will try to figure out how to post pics and do so tonight.

Keljonma, the recipe does sound really good, however, I happily sold 10 dozen eggs today, 9 dozen chickens and 1 dozen duck. Well actually sold 8 of them and trade the other two for some babysitting. With that money I went and got 18 asparagus crowns and need to go get them in the garden, also picked up some birdhouse gourd seeds and want to get them planted. I was told to soak them in water for an hour first. They are soaking.

Revised the duck pool today, I cut a smalll slit in it and then threaded a hose connector though and then hot glued all over the outside of that. I attached a hose and that way can use the water to water my raspberries, pumpkin patch and sunflowers.

I am off to go outside and find some trouble to get into, have a great day!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pic of my baby girl who is now 5!

PicsofHome001.jpg

Pics of the muddy duck pen that won't dry out with all the rain and I changed that water last night, UGH!
PicsofHome003.jpg