Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I agree with FF. You were treated rudely and she tried to bully you into buying something you didn't want. You weren't cheap, you stood up for yourself.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the corn advice.

I agree that the fabric department at Walmart is a crock.. Our WM actually closed that section down. The sold off all the fabrics really cheap last fall.

I am glad you stood up to her.

G

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thanks for the corn advice.

I agree that the fabric department at Walmart is a crock.. Our WM actually closed that section down. The sold off all the fabrics really cheap last fall.

I am glad you stood up to her.

G
Only time I would go there was when I knew my neighbor across the street was working. That was her dept. She retired a year ago though.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
We have a great fabric section at the one WM, one does not have fabric, and one has a small fabric section. Out J's offers to give you what is left on the bolt at a discount IF you want it. If you don't want it they sell it as a remnant. That lady was rude for sure!

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You aren't cheap. Just didn't want that amount and especially for poor quality. Our wm fabric dept is ok. There are bad salespeople everywhere.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You were right....she's a jerk.....it's her job to give you what you want. Don't feel bad at all!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, dh really hates to go shopping with me because while I am definitely not rude I make sure the prices come up right and if they don't I politely point it out. I don't know how many times I have been overcharged at various stores. It is not a big deal as long it is fixed correctly.

I moved all the chickens into the big coop last night after dark, the roosters are trying to decide if they can tolerate each other or if they are going to hate each other. I will step in and seperate if need be. All of the hens are trying to figure where their rooster is and it is quite comical to watch. I really didn't want to deal with the two extra pens all winter so this just makes more sense to me. Nobody in this area really wants to buy straight run chicks anyway so I may just end up keeping them all together and getting rid of a rooster or two. It seems all people want are the eggs.

I usually clean out the pig pen every other day but we were gone on Monday and Tuesday and it poured down rain the rest of the week so I finally did the awful job today. It really isn't too bad as I just scoop it over the fence into the compost pen but it was sopping wet today. While I was out there I measured the pig to get a weight, I got the formula from Walter at Sugar Mountain Farm http://flashweb.com/blog/2006/01/how-to-weigh-a-pig-with-a-string.html . My measurements today were 41 length and 37 girth. That comes to 140 pounds of pig. I have no idea how accurate this but with these measurements he weighed

85 pounds on September 5th
95 pounds on September 17th
103 pounds on September 24th
120 pounds on October 3rd
140 pounds on October 9th

The little guy weighed about 25 pounds when he got him in July. I am really not sure he could have put on 20 pounds in 6 days so I am thinking that I must have measured wrong. I am thinking it was the October 3rd measurement because my mom was here and he was showing off for her and not wanting to hold still. My butcher date of late November / early December will work I do believe.

I have some things I want to get done outside today as it looks like it is not going to rain. That makes me happy and hopefully I can get some of the food out of the garden for us and the waste for the pig.

Have a blessed day!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A nice fall day ahead of us, dh and ds got up early to go hunting. I can't understand the need to go trampse around in the woods when there are deer staring at me from across the road,but oh well at least they are doing it together.

It rained in the night and I am really glad I combined the animal pens because of the mud. The chickens are all together, the ducks are all together and the turkeys were brought up much closer to the house. That was a feat carrying 5 turkeys up the hill to the coop that they were going into. The toms have really grown.

Going to make chili and cornbread for dinner in the crockpot so whenever the guys wandered in it will be ready.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just done making hot pepper mustard and canning hot peppers for my wonderful dh! I know I am suppose to wear gloves but I hate them and forget every year. :rolleyes: