Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Bee! When I woke up this morning, it was quiet in the house and I laid there thinking about how great my life is and how happy I am. It is cloudy here but that is okay because I have plans come spring. Nothing big, just some new chicken runs and so forth, but I am excited to be up and alive.

It also helps my cold is going away and I can breathe and my ankle is just aching today, not throbbing. It is going to be a wonderful week. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It is, isn't it? :) I always tell my kids, you can visit Depression Town but don't plan on living there! :D

I'm so glad you are feeling a little more froggy....got some gitty-up in your step! :D

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it was a beautiful day here and I went outside and tackled the heap of pile that was stacked nicely in front of one of the chicken coops. We had this metal barrel that a friend gave us full of grain, well it was moldy, rotton grain and oh how it stank. Last fall I shoveled it out in garbage bags and took it to the dump. Well we let the water from rain and snow fill the barrel up and let it sit and then dumped it. It smelled gross, it was nasty. Couldn't think of one thing to use that water for, the animals definitely couldn't use it and it was rank. I drag the barrel down to the goat pen so they could use it to play on and in. They love it. Then I had a chicken issue that was entirely MY fault. I have two beautiful Orp rooster, one is splash and one is blue. I may be prejudice but they are truly beautiful. I also have two blue hens and I had the three of the blues seperated for three days for breeding purposes. Don't ask. Well when the chickens went back together, it was a bloody row between those two roos. I know is was my fault and when I realized what was happening I grabbed both of them flip them upside down by their feet. Well that helped but it didn't solve the problem. I really don't want to get rid of either of the roos so we had a metal shed that is 7 x 10 and we had divided it in half for two seperate pens. So we put the blue orps out there and built a small run for them. I will post pics later.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
It is, isn't it? :) I always tell my kids, you can visit Depression Town but don't plan on living there! :D

I'm so glad you are feeling a little more froggy....got some gitty-up in your step! :D
Depression town, love it!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well it has been 8 months since I have been on here and there is so much to tell, I don't even know where to start.

I will give a run-down, the short condensed version of the last 8 months. :)

We raised Cornish Xs this year and I free ranged them, best chicken meat we have ever ate. It is truly delicious.

The garden grew beautifully this year but the darn deer got in there and demolished it. We will be putting up another fence yet again. UGH!!!!

Still have lots of chickens for eggs, can't keep any eggs in the house and they are sold before they are laid.

Did three weeks at the Farmer's Market but decided it really wasn't worth it. I am able to sell more produce and other stuff from my house. I did veggie baskets where I had steady customers and delivered a nice size basket to their house each week full of veggies and fruit. Always added flowers. It was very successful.

We bottle fed two lambs this year that we picked up for $5 each, but I am sorry to say that I don't like lambs. I sold them as soon as I got the opportunity. To be fair we didn't have a proper set-up for them and that was part of the problem.

There is a lot more to tell and I will but there is a fast summary!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is another thing, if you really want to know what has been happening in my life, check out my blog!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
WOW! I just popped over to your blog. YOU HAVE A COLD ROOM!!!

Tell me more. When we build our new house I desperately want one of those.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great work all around!

do you live on a busy road that you can sell so much from home?? or do you just have a steady stream of customers who know you?

:)

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
WOW! I just popped over to your blog. YOU HAVE A COLD ROOM!!!

Tell me more. When we build our new house I desperately want one of those.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my cold room. It is made out of concrete and was here when we bought the house. It has lots of shelves and all the canning stuff. One thing I love about it is that it is always cool, even in the middle of a heat wave. Did I mention I love this room!? :D

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
great work all around!

do you live on a busy road that you can sell so much from home?? or do you just have a steady stream of customers who know you?

:)
No, we live at the egde of a very small rural town but there are towns on both sides of us. One is 40 miles away and the other is 8 miles away. Although our road seems to be getting busier all the time with more traffic. I sell my stuff with word of mouth only and it keeps me plenty busy! :)