Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
homesteadmomma said:
savingdogs said:
As moms, what we want is everything to be perfect for our child. But that will never happen.

Better you teach your child how to cope with what life is really like. Every year, they need to learn harder lessons. Sad, but true. Dealing with adversity and dissapointment can make one strong. It is sad when one so young needs to learn it, though. :hugs
Actually I had better learn to cope with the harder lessons of life. You will have to meet my daughter to understand her but nothing phases her. She is a beautiful little girl who is almost 7 living in a 7 year old body with the mind of about an 15 month old with the movement of maybe a 12 month old. She is my greatest teacher in life. She has taught her father, her siblings and myself true love, acceptance and understanding of all people.

Thanks for your kind words, I am moving forward. My kitchen is up back together with water and electricity. My daughter is down for a nap and I have high hopes my duck may come back. :)
Momma..I retired last summer after more than 40 years in the education of special needs children and adults. I want to tell you that you will never know what a blessing your daughter is and will be to those she interacts with during her education. The children with the largest physical and cognitive challenges were the ones who touched my life the most. Those children and their families or caregivers teach lessons of patience, love and looking at daily life through different lenses. Children with these types of challenges do learn and grow educationally they just do it differently than typical students and challenge us as educators to keep trying different ways of presenting materials at individual levels. Allthough she may not be able to attend as often or as long as you would like for her just remember every minute she is teaching as well as being taught.:)
Thank you for your kind words. She is definitely teaching me almost every minute of every day. She has taught me how to stand up for myself and other, especially her. She has taught me to argue with doctors and therapist in a polite way and get the care she needs. She has taught me how to show unconditional love even though 6 months of never ending screaming. But most of all she has taught me the kindness of others!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohioann - Wow! What beautiful words, and a much needed reminder that we are blessed with wonderful teachers.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
:hugs seizures are very scary. I know. I grew up with a younger brother who has had seizures almost his whole life...multiple seizures a day in fact. He missed out on alot in his younger years as well, he slept though alot of it. They had a cot on the coat room of every classroom for him because out of a school day he slept probably 5 hours. Somehow, miraculously he still learned to read and write and do arithmatics and ended up being the best learner over all than any of his siblings. God has His hand in these things.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
I want to tell you that you will never know what a blessing your daughter is and will be to those she interacts with during her education. ... Allthough she may not be able to attend as often or as long as you would like for her just remember every minute she is teaching as well as being taught.:)
:thumbsup I second this motion!

As far as the seizures are concerned, I had the blessing and privileged of knowing a young Christian man who willingly gave his life to help scientists learn about seizure disorders. I just knew him a short time and it was a long time ago. Sadly, my feeble brain can't remember his name. He was going to Bible College near us and went to our church on Sundays. My MIL used to invite students with no place to go to her house to eat every Sunday for a home cooked meal. He used to come over most Sundays for about a year.

He was afflicted with frequent seizures his entire life and felt called to volunteer himself for several very experimental seizure treatments. He told me he was never afraid of any of the treatments that they tried and he was looking forward to Heaven and seeing Jesus, if anything happened he KNEW where he was going! He told me also that he hoped that something the doctors learned when experimenting on him would be able to stop the seizures in others. He was an amazing guy. When I met him he had already participated in testing several different seizure meds and had volunteered for THREE different brain surgeries. Surgeries which had almost completely stopped his seizures. It was a final experimental anti-seizure brain surgery that claimed his life. Yet another example of how someone with special needs and physical problems was able to give to the world where the rest of us simply can't.

Hopefully your daughter will be able to benefit from some of the treatments that this young man helped to get on the market. :hugs

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It seems like I go weeks without writing on here even though I have so much going on. The weather has been so crappy and I am so sick of the rain and snow. I am so ready for spring and not sure we will get any because summer will be here very soon.

The lettuce, spinach, beets, radishes, peas are all up and doing well in the garden. The potatoes will hopefully be popping up any day. We planted scallions for the first time this year and hopefully the yellow onions will be up soon.

Have hatched two batches of chicks for a friend this year and had a good hatch rate on both bunches. We have mixed turkey eggs in there now along with some duck eggs I am incubating for a gentleman who purchased two of my Nigerian goat babies.

Another girl purchased 3 goat babies and put the deposit down on them but is having some money trouble so I told her they could stay here until May 15th at the latest. That leaves me 3 to try and sell, 2 doelings and a little buckling/wether.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aly told me on BYC she had been looking for an update so I guess I had better get back over here. I am now 26 weeks pregnant and fall asleep very easily every night between 8 and 9 pm. I have been working out side every day I get a chance and the housework has been suffering for it. I will get back on here tonight with some pics and an update. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
YAY!! How happy I am to see you!!

I'll be 23 weeks tomorrow. How cool we're only 3 weeks apart on our pregnancies!

I'm tired A LOT too, but really pushed myself today!

I am going to guess you're having a girl, too, since you said the cord keeps hiding things. My boys' were NEVER able to hide their "stuff" behind the cord, but my baby sister did!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
YAY!! How happy I am to see you!!

I'll be 23 weeks tomorrow. How cool we're only 3 weeks apart on our pregnancies!

I'm tired A LOT too, but really pushed myself today!

I am going to guess you're having a girl, too, since you said the cord keeps hiding things. My boys' were NEVER able to hide their "stuff" behind the cord, but my baby sister did!
The tech said his bet was on a girl also but he wouldn't put any money on it. I am really secretly hoping for boy. I have two girls and one boy already and my youngest dd has Rett Syndrome which mainly affects girls. The chances of it repeating itself in our family is next to none but I will just be happy with healthy!!!!