Want to come back on this forum after almost two years!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I saw in OFG's journal where you can use milk or something to calm the burn? Good luck!

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pour olive oil in your hands and rub it around like you are washing your hands. The oils dilutes the pepper oils and will help float it away from the skin. repeat it if you need to. Do not use water it will only spread teh pepper oil around and make it worse.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
woodwzrd said:
pour olive oil in your hands and rub it around like you are washing your hands. The oils dilutes the pepper oils and will help float it away from the skin. repeat it if you need to. Do not use water it will only spread teh pepper oil around and make it worse.
Thanks! Will vegetable oil work?

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks I also discovered that milk works wonders too. I went to pour the old milk in the pig pen and it went all over my hands, I started rubbing them on the pallet fence and realized that it was helping take the sting away. Either that or I am crazy and it distracted me enough! ;) LOL!

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Worked today for my weekly 5 and 1/2 hours today; it isn't very many hours each week but at least it keeps my foot in the door, so to speak, and helps a little bit financially. Starting with the next paycheck I will apply the paycheck on our Visa. The regular monthly payment with two small payments (my paychecks) and no more spending should really help. Really, really, really want to get that paid off. The sooner the better!

After asking about a cheaper alternative to chicken feed, I have several options to look into when I am in town tomorrow. I also know I need to start seperating the chickens out and see who is laying and who isn't. There is no sense in feeding the non-layers but it is just another chore I am not looking forward to.

Tomorrow I spend the whole day in the big town with doctors and physical therapy for the youngest then head home and go to the smaller town in the opposite direction for dh's doctor's appt and to take the youngest to AWANAs.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I went out to lock up the chickens for the night I pulled out two nice size cages and then picked up two hens off the roost. I really hope they lay because one is one of my more favorite Buff Orpingtons and the other is a very pretty Silver Wyandotte. However "pretty: does not provide any eggs.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sometimes it is really hard, even for us cold blooded ones, to cull those special hens. But hard economic times demand results.

:fl

I hope they both have an egg for you tomorrow.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Sometimes it is really hard, even for us cold blooded ones, to cull those special hens. But hard economic times demand results.

:fl

I hope they both have an egg for you tomorrow.
Thanks but if not then I will know what to do. I may even wait two days to see what happens but then if not definitely time to process.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Life just keeps rolling along.

I now have three chickens in the stew pen and several banded with a zipcord which means they get to stay. If they lay an egg in the cage or if I catch them in the nest box then I put a zipcord on the right leg.

Moved the 31 baby chicks into a big brooder yesterday and they are enjoying having more room to run around in. When I ran the dog late last night I thought I heard loud cheeping from the hen house but then I didn't hear it again and went to bed. This morning when I went to do chores I found a baby chick running around on the floor as it must have jumped or flown over the lip of the swimming pool. It seemed fine so I just put it back in the pool and it cuddled up with its siblings.

I put an ad on Craiglist looking for Muscovy ducks and boy are they expensive in my area. Anyway a really nice lady emailed me saying that she had two 1 month olds that she would be willing to sell for $9 each. I really didn't want to spend any money so I asked her if she would be willing to trade runner ducks for hers. She told me yes and I will be taking her a black runner drake and a blue hen tomorrow hopefully. I love my ducks but the noise level is driving me crazy. I am not sure why as this is a new thing for me but I think my nerves are just shot.

I am still taking the two kids to physical therapy five days a week. Ds goes in the closest town but before school so we have to leave here at 6:30 and the days I work that means chores and all have to be done first plus all three kids ready for school. DD's therapy is in the town the opposite way 80 miles round trip. Plus the usual extra stuff kids do, I am exhausted.

Made an apple crisp yesterday and still have cooked apples on the stove that I need to do something with but have no idea what I want to do with them.

Latest posts