Wanted baby Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog near WV

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Old Sew'n'Sew said:
I'm beginning to think they are a rare breed, more than I realized. :idunno
i'm surprised even this many people have heard of them! we had several when i was growing up, but i'd never known anyone else who had even heard of them until a few years ago.

they were some of the best and smartest dogs we've ever had, and that's really saying something. our first was named Booger, poor girl came from a home with small children and got her name because she had a big black spot on her pink nose. we tried, but she'd never answer to anything else. we jokingly called her Nana after the dog in Peter Pan, because she made her rounds checking on all of us each night. when i went away to college she took to sleeping in my bed and crying.

one of her pups that we kept was named Dottie! all of ours had the crystal blue eyes, which is a warning sign of hearing problems, but Dottie was the only deaf pup we ever had. she was a great dog until she had puppies of her own and then she was like an insane killer if anyone even looked at the puppies too long. sadly, as happens with most deaf dogs, she eventually got hit by a car.

hope you find one. i've been seriously thinking about getting one again for a while now.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the cattle dog forum I also belong to, there are usually catahoula dogs up for adoption out here. Cattle dog (heelers, Australian cattle dogs) owners love catahoulas and kelpies too.

the funny farm6615

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
good luck with your search. i am in iowa and have been looking for one for 2 years. but the closest we have found have been a 3 hour drive to pick up, and hubby wont go that far! our last one was very protective like that and we hope to find another like him.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We always called them Catahoula curs too, but I knew what you were talking about. They were common when I was a kid, living in farm country in Louisiana. I'm not sure about now. I don't hear much talk of them. I'd hate to think such great dogs had become rare. I hope you find one!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Swift had one blue eye, one brown. She was a stray and had only 3 working legs, hence her name. (We kids used to make up and tell the most outrageous stories about what happened to that short, useless leg.) Even with three working legs, she could still keep up with us as we tore through the country side on our horses.

She also understood full sentences, like your dog. I think she even knew each chicken by their name. Example: "Swifty, go get 'Hildegard', she is getting too close to the street."

I grew up in South TX in an itty bitty country town. A few other folks had them....however Swift was the best out of all of them. Once a year, we used to take her to the Catholic church to have her blessed by the Priest...and we were Lutherans! :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I for one have never heard of them until now, and i am etremely impresed. AFAICT, they are not acknowledged by the CKC, but there are a few around. perhaps when I am in tha market for a new dog.....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I wish I knew how to work my scanner, I would love to share her photo.

Though she has been gone for way over two decades, we still talk about her at every single family get together..."remember when Swift chased that pack of wild dogs off?" or "remember when Swift licked the abandoned litter of kittens like they were her own?"

Now I'm thinking of getting another LCLD!!!!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Though she has been gone for way over two decades, we still talk about her at every single family get together..."remember when Swift chased that pack of wild dogs off?" or "remember when Swift licked the abandoned litter of kittens like they were her own?"
Our Booger was the same way. i've run into people i went to high school with and haven't seen in years and they will ask about her! she was just so smart and sweet and no one can forget those crystal blue eyes and crazy patchwork markings.