wanting a 30-30 rifle...which brand to get?

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
^part of me looks at it exactly like that....

but the other part of me tells me i can get a different brand 30-30 and also buy a shotgun for the same price as buying a henry....

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Honestly, I've always been a Savage fan. Incredibly inexpensive and wonderful guns. Very accurate guns, and seem to hold up pretty well.
I have to agree.

I have a 270 and bought a 308 for my son for Christmas.

I especially like the removable magazine. I feel it is much safer knowing the rounds are out of the gun when the chamber is emptied and the magazine is removed.

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Andy,

Before buying a rifle consider a few things. Is this only for whitetails? Or will you be hunting other species (Elk, Moose, Gator, Giraffe, Dugong) That would change from a 30-30 real quick. But if it is only for deer than a 30-30 has killed more deer than any other caliber.

Are you in very thick growth? or do you ever take shots past 80 yrds? I grew up in ME and hunted with a 30-30. great gun if you are in the thick stuff get a carbine version lever action winchester.... there is a reason this was the gun that won the west. I suggest a model 94. can be a great investment. I have one valued at $3000. Can get later used models for under $500.

I would buy used and get a gun with 95% or higher rating. This means it has maybe a few blemishes but almost new working condition. All this being said I swithed over to a .270 rifle that shoots very flat and is a bolt action.

My breakdown,

still-hunting thick stuff: get the 30-30 open sights and paint the front sit bright white. Or remington pump model carbine in 30-06 or 270.

tree-stand hunting: I like my browning A-bolt.

A 30-30 is a great caliber but doesn't shoot very flat...

Here is some ranges the bullets will travel if shot from shoulder height directly straight.

.270 - 305 yrds

.308 - 275

.30-06 - 287

30-30 - 205 yrds You will have to aim 3" high at 150 yrds to be an inch low at 200. SO at a hundred yards you would have to be like 8.5 inches high to hit at 200. T

That being said you very rarely shoot a deer over 100yrds...

happy hunting

AndysHomestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
^im only gonna be doing deer hunting with it (and maybe an occasional hawk). i have access to a .270 rifle, but im just wanting to get a good brush rifle...

too, i have a thing for 30-30's. it was "the gun" when i was a kid and id like to buy a nice rifle to "pass down" to my kid/family.

Nrubua

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The best 30-30 rifle to purchase, hands down, is the Marlin brand. My grandfather used one, passed it on to my dad who passed it on to me. Many a deer have fell victim. :D

Flytyer24

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really dislike the term brush gun. Growing up in some of the thickest woods people had 'brush guns.' This pretty much perpetuates the idea you can take a crappy shot and by some miracle it will bust through trees without narry a problem. I have taken my fair share of quick shots at moving deer while tracking, but that being said NO CALIBER WILL FLY TRUE IF IT HITS A BRANCH.

I agree there is something nostalgic about 30-30s.. And just another thought as far as the brands go any of those mentioned will do. So go find the best condition one and find a good deal.

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
one i have owned for years is the NEF handi rifle, in 30/30 very accurate and what i found is a pleasure is if you reload? you can use pointy booollets in them, mine has been a joy to hunt with ive scoped it and used it with out . like it so well i got into the whole handi collection, 45/70 243 22mag, 223 17hmr, priced right and used ones are real inexpensive, usa made! i really like them, ive owned marlins , winchesters also but these work for me?

Dirty Harry

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think the Marlin 336 is the best gun for the money in the 30-30. If you aren't concerned about the price, Browning makes a nice one or at least they used to. With that said, I would not recommend buying the 30-30. The 30-06 can do anything the 30-30 will and ten times better. The 30-06 is probably the most versatile gun ever made. You can get bullets for the 30-06 ranging from 55gr to 220gr. It will kill anything in North America and will penetrate brush better than the 30-30. I have been toying with the idea of building a sniper rifle in 30-06 since it has much less recoil than the 300 WinMag.

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Possibly outdated topic...but nonetheless, I have a 30-30 Winchester with a side mount scope. Beautiful gun and worth the money. That's my recommendation. Wouldn't sell the gun anytime soon though.