Wanting to move- need financial advice.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Oh yeah... didn't say it was easy.

And I did mention it was my EX-husband I bought the property with?!

:gig

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Oh yeah... didn't say it was easy.

And I did mention it was my EX-husband I bought the property with?!

:gig
:lol: Hey, it painted a pretty picture though eh? :lol:

ETA: I can't speel!! :lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
OMG, if I was living with my in-laws there would be ER visits every week! :th

And just a word of warning, that umbilical cord between mommy and her son, your future husband NEVER GETS CUT. (just don't ask how I know :somad )

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never move West. Don't even think about California or Oregon or WA. It takes about 50% of our income to pay the mortgages out here - and that's normal for the more populated areas of CA. Like the Bay Area (Silicon Valley), LA, SF, Sacramento etc. And for what you were thinking of in terms of purchase price, you couldn't even buy a second floor condo....well, maybe a half of a condo....

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Watch regional trends carefully.

For example, in Wisconsin, directly East of the Twin Cities in Minnesota is the city Hudson. Right on the MN/WI border. It's a commuter town for people trying to get out of the city.

90 miles west is Eau Claire, a decent size city with a lot of nice features.

There is a "dead zone" halfway between the two where property values DROP. Because most people think it is too far of a commute to both of those cities.

If you're willing to live out aways, research your region to see where the property values drop. Even 10 miles away, you might find dramatically lower prices in property AND rent.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I bought our house on a low income... we are in a rent-to-own situation because our income was only about $2000/month and with our other bills the bank wouldn't give us a mortgage.

Our mortgage payment is $440/month, heat/electricity $300, taxes $80, insurance (required) $40, plus phone, cable, car payment, etc... it adds up really quickly and although it's hard lots of months, we only paid $25,000 for our house and 6 acres of land (5 acres is WAY out in the woods, not attached to the house lot)... we'll have no mortgage after 5 years of payments (that's less than a year away now) and we love it...

Sure, we had to rough it... there was no electricity or running water when we moved in and things were hard, but we are slowly turning this into a house we love.

Our financial situation is better now, four years after we got into this house, but we still couldn't qualify to buy a farm that we were looking at with 60 acres of land... we lost it when our financing fell through... that was $80,000.

For $186,000 here you could have a working farm with more than 100 acres of land.... you should move to rural Canada... lol

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Murphysranch, I have to respectfully disagree with you about Washington State. Hubster and I moved here to SE Washington three years ago, from the glorious California Central Coast. We got an 1800 SF house with a finished walk-out basement on just under three acres for about $170, 000. We could have bought a smaller home on one acre for just over $100,000. If you are looking at the coast, yeah, fuggedaboudit, but SE Washington/NE Oregon are affordable and liveable. We love it here. Our nearest "neighbor" is an 80 acre fruit orchard.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If Tom Tancredo wins the governors race, move to Colorado. If Hicklooper wins, run away!!! LOL

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you can handle the cold and snow, I know of a house with four acres for under $50K! I grew up there. Cute house, move-in ready, nothing major needed now, and could be had partially furnished as it was left ready to rent. Two outbuildings, including a very well insulated coop. Lots of foraging, fishing, and hunting nearby, and gleaning the farm fields is customary in that area. But lots of snow, too! :p Needs to be sold fast, if you have any interest at all, e-mail me soon. It is in Maine. Longshot, but I thought I'd put it out there!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$189K on "maybe" $1200 to $1500 per month
NOPE--that would be suicide

rent somewhere for now

take YOUR TIME

if you go into financial debt with a huge mortgage right off the bat your marriage will be in big trouble lol

You will find the perfect home and land for your price range eventually...it all takes time. To put yourself in a huge debt just to get away from MIL would be horrible way to start a married life. I sure would never do that.....ya lived with them this long, a while longer wouldn't be bad at all......just find a good rent situation, one you can get out of way more easily then a mortgage then take your time and find what you can """comfortably"""" afford and buy a home then.

check foreclosures with the bank etc...you will find some great land deals out there in this economy only if you take the time to look.

don't ruin your future on a whim to escape the inlaws lol