Washing line stiffness

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a post that started when some one complained that outside dried laudry smelled bad. I can't find it.
But it's been bothering me that I didn't mention my softness compromise- I usually put the clothes that I really want soft like towels, sheets and jeans into the drier with a dryer sheet for about 5-10 minutes- no where long enough to dry but long enough to get the softener one them- then take them and hang them out. A whoosie thing I know.

robbobbin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My grandma used to bring them in and toss them into the dryer after they were line dry-to soften them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate the stiffness of all line dried clothes, towels are horrible.

I dry "thin, light" items outside along with sheets and blankets and comforters etc. All towels and such types are dryer.

I tried 10 mins. of drying towels before hanging out, and then reverse, 10 mins after hanging out and they are still scratchy...a big pet peeve for me..LOL

I keep trying though! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know, my homemade liquid laundry detergent leaves things soft, and they don't have that stiffness on the line. Maybe that stiffness comes with the residue created by all the additives in detergent? When I don't line dry I always use those dryer balls you can buy at Wally World(keeps the static away and makes things dry faster)...have had the same set for about 2 years now. Never buy fabric softener anymore! :)

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We don't have too much stiffness, but then again, we almost always have wind--you can often see the clothes flapping about parallel to the ground...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is interesting...here in NC we don't have tons of wind in summer really, we have intense heat like it is outside right now. clothes and towels dry SUPER fast...could that make a difference???

just wondering, don't know..LOL

SunshineChick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I have been trying to find a post that started when some one complained that outside dried laudry smelled bad. I can't find it.
But it's been bothering me that I didn't mention my softness compromise- I usually put the clothes that I really want soft like towels, sheets and jeans into the drier with a dryer sheet for about 5-10 minutes- no where long enough to dry but long enough to get the softener one them- then take them and hang them out. A whoosie thing I know.
What a great idea! I used to love the smell of clothes dried on the line; but, hated the stiffness.

I think I'll try this and see what happens. It is horribly hot here and no rain anywhere! Shouldn't take long to dry!

Robbobbin, I may try your way, too! :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok, can I be the oddball this time? LOL I LOVE crispy towels. They are so exfoliating. I don't use a clothes line at the moment (not home enough) but I will again when I quit working. Last year, I dried towels outside for a little while and it brought back childhood memories from when we didn't have a clothes dryer. I love a good, rough towel to buff off with. :)

Cassandra

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Ok, can I be the oddball this time? LOL I LOVE crispy towels. They are so exfoliating. I don't use a clothes line at the moment (not home enough) but I will again when I quit working. Last year, I dried towels outside for a little while and it brought back childhood memories from when we didn't have a clothes dryer. I love a good, rough towel to buff off with. :)

Cassandra
You know, I enjoy my crunchy towels, too! :lol:

The stiffness of line-dryed clothes doesn't bother me too much. Maybe I'm just used to it. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to put my clothes on the line, take them off, then put them in the dryer, too! I have such as system, that would just blow my little OCD mind. :lol: I fold my laundry right off of the line--saves time, and things are so nice and neat--perfectly flat, no wrinkles, I just love it!

Anyway, try putting a bit of vinegar in your rinse water. That might help a bit, and it cuts any residue from your detergent. Also, I find that a good snap/shake as I hang up the article and another when I take it down tends to relax the fibers in the fabric a bit.

And who said that clothes dried on the line smell bad??? Huh? Huh? You come back here and explain me that, missy/mister!! :old