Washing soda

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welp, I made the homemade laundry soap!

What a feeling of self satisfaction!

Doing laundry is fun again, at least for a while, watching this great soap get everything clean at 1 cent a load!!!

Like I beat somebody at the game, and not only that I see that I will be using/wasting much less cardboard for boxes purchased and no plastic waste cause the soap always came with little scoop cups.

One thing I did different, rather than store it in a bucket as recommended I put it in gallon plastic jugs. Much tidier and easier to handle.

Don't think I'll ever buy the other stuff again.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:woot :woot

Good for you! I use the old laundry soap containers I got from when I bought soap & asked my mom for her old empty ones too. I can put them away in the cupboard & not have to worry about a big bucket of soap laying around for dd to get into & make a mess.
It is a feeling sort of like you beat them at their own game isn't it?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to experiment. The second time I made soap, I used Ivory bar soap (33 cents per bar) instead of the Fels Naptha ($1.75 per bar plus shipping). The smell isn't nearly as good, but it works just as well.

The last time I bought washing soda, I ordered 3 boxes. But I'm going to skip that as well, after I run out. Exchange it for more borax. Plus, I use the powdered, color-safe bleach.

The whole point of this, for me, is to make laundry soap cheaply out of ingredients that are easily accessible. Buying online or having to search high & low for the ingredients doesn't make much sense!

So, my next recipe is going to be 1 bar of Ivory soap, two cups of borax and a cup of purex. I know I can get all of this stuff every time I go shopping. This should make it way cheaper for me. Without having tried it, I feel like this will clean very well. I may have to make some adjustments after trying it out.

Cassandra

Latest posts