Water bath canner with enamel damaged...good or no good?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Saw a few big ones at Goodwill today with racks etc for around $7.99. Some of the enamel was chipped, are they still o.k. to use?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I see no reason why not, as they just have to hold water and boil it. Dry it well right away after using it, and it will be less likely to rust out as quickly. Don't use it for foods, though, just canning.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:thumbsup Thank you!

I used to share one with my mom and I left it with her back in TX. I think I'll pick one up tomorrow. There were 3 and they all were the same size and had the same racks etc., funny though, they were three different prices. :p (Must have been three different people pricing them.)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Both of our water bath canners have small chips/rusted areas in them. As already suggested, we never use them for cooking, just canning. If you can score a deal GO FOR IT!

:thumbsup

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you don't plan on picking up the cheapest one, or if you plan on picking up more than one, be sure to point out the price difference to lower the price! Good luck! Wish I could find some deals like that around here!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You know, even if you have to buy them new, they are not that expensive last time I looked, like $20 new for the size canner I have.

The other thing they're really good for is making an outer 'water bath' for making cheese -- you just need a large stainless-steel pot that fits inside the canner, to put your actual milk in.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I went back and got two of them.

I think I will use them when I finally butcher my rooster and future meat birds ("dinner chickens" as OFG calls them ;) ). One to "scald" the carcasses and one to use as the ice water bath after the scald process. (They are big enough!)

Oh, and also for canning. :p

Now for you glass top stove owners, what do you use to can? I'm wondering if now would be a GREAT time to build my rocket stove?

Latest posts