Water bath canner with enamel damaged...good or no good?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Now for you glass top stove owners, what do you use to can? I'm wondering if now would be a GREAT time to build my rocket stove?
I have an antique Griswold 2 burner stove I converted to propane. We did ALL of our canning on that out on the deck, until I ditched the glass top and installed a propane stove in the kitchen. :D Now we split the canning....some inside and some outside.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I went back and got two of them.

I think I will use them when I finally butcher my rooster and future meat birds ("dinner chickens" as OFG calls them ;) ). One to "scald" the carcasses and one to use as the ice water bath after the scald process. (They are big enough!)

Oh, and also for canning. :p

Now for you glass top stove owners, what do you use to can? I'm wondering if now would be a GREAT time to build my rocket stove?
When our other stove (convection oven-loved it) went out last year, DH brought home a glass top and the jury is still out on whether I like it or not. And I only can using a water bath (like B). I don't like the idea of my food & hard work blowing up!
I've not had a problem with the wb on the glass top stove other than I don't like the burners being temp control & go on and off while cooking.
I canned some tomatoes, pears, cranberry sauce, chicken & beef broth. And this season I will be doing much more.

I think it's been said you can't use a pressure canner with glass tops. :hu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can use a pressure canner with a glass top stove....you just need to get the right canner. I have two Presto 23-qt pressure canners and I've had them both going at the same time on my glass top stove. I was given a similar size Rival and had to pass it on because it could not be used on my stove. It has to do with the shape of the bottom of the canner.

That being said, I chipped my stove with one of my cast iron pans recently, and now I am afraid to use my favorite burner. Saving up for a propane gas stove! Wishing I hadn't sold that third canner!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I went back and got two of them.

I think I will use them when I finally butcher my rooster and future meat birds ("dinner chickens" as OFG calls them ;) ). One to "scald" the carcasses and one to use as the ice water bath after the scald process. (They are big enough!)

Oh, and also for canning. :p

I use my waterbath canner and pressure canner on my glass top stove