Water in Ears.....

DixieDame67

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi, A week ago today i colored my hair and as i have long hair had to hang over the side of the tub with a sprayer to rinse my hair, Every since then I've had water in my ears, now it's getting worse i can't hear and my neck is starting to hurt, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the water to dry????? At this point i would try about anything Thanks :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

:welcome

Well, unless you have some wax buildup and you got water in your ear canal, it shouldn't affect your hearing and it shouldn't be causing you neck pain.

What you describe sounds like fluid in your inner ear which, unless you have a hole in your tympanic membrane(ear drum), can not be accessed through your ear canal.

If you have difficulty hearing and your neck is sore, is sounds as if your Eustachian tubes are inflamed and are edematous enough to hold fluid behind your ear drum. This can be caused by any inflammatory agent like an allergen, or an infection from bacteria. Have you had some allergy symptoms lately like snuffy nose, or sinus drainage down the back of your throat? Have you been blowing your nose lately?

Now, I'm not one for going to the doc for every little thing, so I usually treat something like this by taking an OTC allergy med and an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen for immediate relief, and then I use raw honey daily and power up on orange juice for a cure. Also I avoid any dairy products.

Salt water gargles are good pallative treatments for the inflammation in the back of your throat/sinus's and a good saline nasal spray isn't a bad idea either. Running a vaporizer at night is also a good way to soothe these membranes.

Hope some of this helps and I bet someone else out there can offer some even better options! :)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Have you tried candling them? I know that helps for wax build up not sure about water but, I can't see how it would hurt to try it.

DixieDame67

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
whats candling? never heard of it, I haven't had any sinus but i forgot to mention this is what i call my "bad" ear, It's perfurated a couple of times, .....reason i think it's water is because it's been nothing like a real ear infection ...just aggrivating and very sensitive to loud noises my neck just started hurting yesterday but it's a managable pain ,

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Could be you do have a hole in that eardrum if you have a previous injury. They sell an OTC for swimmers ear but I can't remember the name. It can help dry up that ear but I fear you have now introduced some type of bacteria into your inner ear, with your description of the pain in your neck.

If this is the case, you may very well need an antibiotic or even steroidal ear drop and you need to keep that ear protected in further head washings. If you do get it wet next time, use your blow dryer to make sure the canal is dry. As this is your "bad" ear, it seems prone to infection, so its probably better to nip this in the bud with an antibiotic ear drop.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Here is one site on it:
http://www.earcandling.com/index.html
The demo page shows how it works. It is a long muslin tube that is dipped in wax and the other end is lit...it is not a regular candle.

You can go to you tube and there are vidoes that demostrate hoe they work too.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm really really not a doctor-going-to kind of person, but if you're having trouble hearing and a lot of pain, as you say, this might be one time it WOULD be smart to see a doctor. The inner ear is not all that far from the brain; also it is an item you use frequently enough you'd miss it if it sustained permanent damage, you know?

Good luck,

Pat

DixieDame67

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you Pam , i checked out that site, like you said it can't hurt....oh and BeKissed thanks for the Welcome, I am also a member of the BYC , love it there, gonna wrap my head and go put vaseline on the roosters combs in a minute lol

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
DixieDame67 said:
Thank you Pam , i checked out that site, like you said it can't hurt....oh and BeKissed thanks for the Welcome, I am also a member of the BYC , love it there, gonna wrap my head and go put vaseline on the roosters combs in a minute lol
They sell the ear candles at my local health food store. I think they are around $2.50-$3 each.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My daughter is a swimmer and gets waer in her ears. We were told by a Dr to put a couple of drops of alcohol in the ears to help dry up any lingering water. Perhaps your has gone to far for this to be helpful though.

You could try calling your Doc...my DD tells me that she is hearing that Docs are no longer giving antibiotics for ear infections as it has been proven that OTCs are just as effective.